Maintain your long-distance relationships during pandemic

By Jillian Little, Buzz Editor

You’ve probably heard it so many times before, but we need to stick together in times like these. For most of us, this is a new experience, and it isn’t very easy to come to terms with it. As a result, there could be times we lash out at the people who are closest to us even if we don’t mean it. But, how is one able to handle being tens or hundreds of miles away from a significant other? You’d be risking your safety and the safety of others by traveling to see a loved one. However, there are some ways you can be close to one another without being physically together.

Staying connected through messaging apps is critical, but that shouldn’t be your only form of communication. Strictly texting might not cut it anymore if you’re used to seeing your significant other a few times a week. Things might get real dull real fast. Consider setting some time out of your day to FaceTime or do activities together over the Internet.

Netflix will always be a frontrunner for entertainment, now and in the foreseeable future. They recently introduced their “Netflix Party” service, which allows you to watch movies using a live chat. That means those Friday movie nights don’t have to go to waste though you might not be able to cuddle anymore. Just try to stay away from movies like “A Marriage Story.”

If movies aren’t your thing, there are always other forms of media that can create once-in-a-lifetime bonding experiences. Before the 21st century, making a mixtape for someone meant something sincere. There’s a lot of thought that goes into finding the perfect songs that describe your form of love. If this retro-romance tactic appeals to you, consider making collaborative playlists on Spotify.

Routines don’t have to change either! If you’re used to cooking with your significant other, you can still make your favorite dishes together over FaceTime. For hardcore fitness addicts, you could even do workout routines. Just because you’re miles apart doesn’t mean those daily routines need to die down.

It cannot be stressed enough but look forward to the future, even in stressful times like these. Believe it or not, this is all going to clear up one day, whether it be in a month or a few. What are you two going do together once this all blows over? Where are you all going to travel to next? These are the types of questions you should be asking yourself, whether that be making travel plans to Europe or visiting your favorite ice cream parlor.

Most importantly, you can take this time to better yourself and, ultimately, the state and longevity of your relationship. For some, social-distancing could be a blessing in disguise.  Maybe before coronavirus hit the fan, some underlying relationship issues weren’t addressed adequately. Please don’t ignore them, but consider this a refreshing period. Learn a new skill. Get back to that project you put on the shelves a long time ago. How does old adage go again? Oh, right! If you can’t love yourself, how in the world are you capable of loving someone else?

Jillian is a junior in LAS.