Make late-night cravings a healthier choice

By Therese Pokorney, Features Editor

Being in college allows students to have their first taste of freedom away from parents and (almost) living like an adult. Living on your own also means making decisions about what you should and shouldn’t eat, and sometimes late-night cravings can get the best of you. However, when you really want something heavy and greasy, microwave popcorn doesn’t cut it. It’s unrealistic to think you won’t ever indulge at 2 a.m., so here’s a list of some late-night eats on campus with alternative, healthier options.

1. Fat Sandwich

A double cheeseburger with chicken and mozzarella sticks may sound like the perfect post-study (or post-KAM’s) meal at the moment, but it most likely won’t make you feel great the next day. Fat Sandwich offers a variety of inexpensive wraps, rolls and side orders of french fries and onion rings. Opt for the lighter chicken caesar, turkey club or ham and swiss wrap with a side of your choice for a satisfying pick-me-up that won’t leave you feeling bloated and tired the next day.

1. Burrito King

When you want a burrito, you want a burrito. Denying yourself isn’t going to change that, but making healthier choices at Burrito King can satisfy your Mexican food desire while making you feel good. Although they do serve salads, I find it hard to believe that any college-aged adult is craving some lettuce at 1 a.m. Luckily, Burrito King has a plethora of options to choose from, and you can customize your order to your heart’s’ desire. Instead of a burrito, go for the two or three taco combination with rice and beans. If you do want a burrito, customize your own and start with a protein, vegetables or legumes and light cheese.

1. Chopstix

What’s better than Chinese delivery at 3 a.m.? Not much. Chopstix has large portion sizes for a relatively low price, but you may pay for the sodium-induced damage the next day. Chopstix has a “Special Diet Menu” with a lot of great options like shrimp and broccoli, tofu scrambles and vegetable mixes. I would suggest getting one of these orders with a side of white rice or crispy noodles.

1. D.P. Dough

Eating a healthy diet can help you cope with stress and overall feel better, but sometimes a football-size calzone will do the trick. D.P. Dough includes calories in all their calzones, but that’s per serving, and sharing a calzone seems ludicrous. If you order online, take advantage of the Construction Zone and build your own meal with up to four ingredients. Opt for a lean protein like chicken, load up on the fresh veggies and request light cheese.

1. Insomnia Cookies

Think about this one here. As much as it may seem like a good idea, if it’s just you and your roommate, there is no need to order a box of 12 chocolate chip cookies. One warm and gooey cookie will do the trick. Luckily, Insomnia has the option to order just two cookies paired with an ice cold milk so you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your dorm.

We all know late-night snacking isn’t the greatest choice, but if you’re hungry, then eat! Don’t deny yourself a glorious burrito if you want it. The best memories I made freshman year were the nights spent indulging on good food with good people. Making a healthier choice can create an even better experience.