Election spotlight: Champaign County Clerk race

Photos courtesy of Terrence Stuber for Champaign County Clerk on Facebook and @ChampaignCountyClerk on Twitter

Terrence Stuber (left) and Aaron Ammons (right) are the two candidates for Champaign County Clerk during the 2022 midterm elections

By Yuzhu Liu, Assistant Features Editor

Note: Official results for this race have not been posted yet. Stay tuned for updates.

Race update: Wednesday, 12:20 a.m.

Incomplete results of early voting, mail-in and election day ballots at the time of update show that Democrat Aaron Ammons is ahead with 30,855 votes. Republican Terrence Stuber has 27,627 votes.

Race update: Tuesday, 11:45 p.m.

Incomplete results of early voting, mail-in and election day ballots at the time of update show that Democrat Aaron Ammons is ahead with 30,419 votes. Republican Terrence Stuber has 26,451 votes.

Race update: Tuesday, 11:00 p.m.

Incomplete results of early voting, mail-in and election day ballots at the time of update show that Democrat Aaron Ammons is ahead with 26,822 votes. Republican Terrence Stuber has 24,156 votes.

These results are not official, nor have all ballots been counted at this time. Please continue to check this article for more information. 

Background information

As county clerk, either Democratic incumbent Aaron Ammons or Republican nominee Terrence Stuber would be responsible for supervising local and federal elections and maintaining government records such as marriage licenses, birth and death certificates and taxes.

Ammons has been in the office since 2018. He became the first Black person in this position and the third Black Champaign County official in history.

With a history of battling drug addiction and a felony conviction, Ammons went on to be a community activist. Before being elected, he served as an Urbana alderman and co-founder of the grassroots organization Champaign Urbana Citizens for Peace & Justice.

Ammons has lived in Champaign County for 30 years and is married to Carol Ammons, the state representative of the 103rd District representing Champaign-Urbana.

Ammons has expanded voting access across the county, increasing early voting locations up to 30 and encouraging voter participation. Ammons said he is passionate about voting rights and vows to ensure fair, accessible elections in Champaign County.

Republican challenger Stuber serves as the coordinator of Audiovisual Services at the College of Veterinary Medicine and a trustee for Tolono Village.

Born to Navy veteran parents, Stuber has been a lifetime Champaign resident and said he has a natural passion for public service. He claimed he aims to return accuracy, efficiency and integrity to the clerk’s office. Stuber said he will correct the “long list of errors” that he believes exist in the current clerk’s office.

Stuber led local headlines in August, saying he wasn’t sure if former president Donald Trump had won the 2020 election. He later said that President Biden won the election, but there were questions about the election process.

At an October forum, Stuber expressed skepticism regarding the clerk’s office, questioning whether the Champaign County election sites were secure. He said the first of his measures to restore trust is to put publicly accessible cameras throughout the election center.