Champaign voters flock to Illini Union

Jacob Slabosz

Voters wait in line at the Illini Union on Nov. 8. The line began on the west end of the building and wrapped around the northeast corner of the main hallway.

By Lika Lezhava, Staff Writer

One of the many polling places in Champaign County is the Illini Union. 

With groups of students and Champaign residents in line, the lines started to get long around noon.

The Union opened up its voting polls for early voting on Oct. 19. 

“I hope for high voter turnout in Champaign County,” said Champaign local Grant Chassy. “I think there are a lot of important issues on the ballot.”

Electronic voting has been brought back once again this year and is being used as the voting method in the Union. 

“They understand the best way to conduct a vote, and I have full faith in them to be able to administer a safe and efficient voting process,” said AJ Biancalana, a junior in LAS, when asked about the electronic voting methods. 

Electronic voting seemed to bring a faster voting rate. 

“I see people go in and we see them come out 15 minutes later,” Biancalana said. “You have a right to vote and you should be able to do that with as little interference as humanly possible.”

Grace Kreps, freshman in FAA, said she is pleased with the voter turnout.

“There was a long line of college students waiting to vote,” Kreps said. “I thought that was really awesome.” 

Biancalana also commented on the increase in voter turnout.

“I think that young people are really engaged, more so than in 2018 … I’ve seen around here and other places across the state and the country look phenomenal when young people vote,” Biancalana said.