Cyberattack targets Champaign County clerk office during elections

Layli Nazarova

Voters wait in line at the Siebel Center for Design on Nov. 8 to participate in the polls.

By Lika Lezhava and Aidan Sadovi

Some voters in the Champaign area said there were internet problems at the polling places and that they weren’t able to be found in the system because of the internet problems caused by connectivity issues and computer server problems. 

At around 11 a.m. Angela Patton, the chief deputy clerk of the Champaign County Clerk’s office sent out a press release, which said these problems were “due to cyber-attacks on the network and servers.”

“These cyber-attacks are a strategic and coordinated effort to undermine and destabilize our democratic process,” Patton said in the press release.

The press release encourages people to stay in the voting lines and promises to update with new developments. 

According to Matt Dietrich, spokesperson for the Illinois State Board of Elections, he received notice at around 1:15 p.m. that technical issues have been rectified. He also said these issues were unique to Champaign County.

Dietrich also said that Champaign County may seek out a court order to keep the affected polling places open later to “accommodate any voters who have been inconvenienced.”