Campus leaders welcome international students

By Isabella Jackson

Dear Class of 2020:

Ni hao! Annyeong! Namaste! Hello and welcome to the University of Illinois! Welcome to four of the best years of your life. The University of Illinois has about 10,000 international students, who make up over 22 percent of the student body. This rich diversity is what allows UIUC to achieve a vision of having a local, national and global impact through transformational learning experiences and groundbreaking scholarship. You join a legacy of global leadership at a world-class, land-grant university. Be proud to be a part of this history.

I applaud you for your courage in coming here. I can only imagine how nervous some of you must be. I remember being homesick as a freshman, and I only live three hours from Champaign! But I promise, you have made the right choice. This is a place where you will grow so much, encounter new and different ideas and worldviews and discover yourself. It can seem scary and overwhelming at times, but I’ll let you in on a little secret … everyone here is always more than willing to help. Don’t be afraid to go to office hours and introduce yourself to your professors, or stop by your adviser’s office, or utilize any of the rich resources on this campus. Now that you are here you are an Illini!

Again, welcome to the University of Illinois! I hope to meet some of you over the next year and I wish you the very best. Oskee Wow-Wow!

In Orange and Blue,

Collin Schumock

Student Trustee

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the start of many great things to come! My name is Ronald Lewis and I have the honor of serving as your student body president for the University of Illinois. Several of you have travelled great distances, left friends, family and your comfort zone to be here today. The majority of our campus will never fully understand the sacrifices that you have made to be here. So it is my pleasure to welcome you all to a new beginning and an opportunity of a lifetime.

Although it may be a challenge to adapt to the new community and environment, you can be assured that you will not be alone. There are many resources on campus to make sure that all of your needs are met to make your transition to the U.S. as smooth as possible. From academic programs and registered student organizations to counseling services, it is a priority to us that your experience of what it means to be an Illini is just as good if not better than anyone else’s on campus.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of assistance in any way. Let’s work together to make an impact and make this year a great one! I can be reached at [email protected]. Go Illini!

Ron Lewis

Student Body President

Welcome to the University of Illinois!

My name is Samantha Rothman and I am the president of Panhellenic Council at the University of Illinois. In my years at Illinois, I’ve learned it is one of the most special places in this world. There are countless opportunities on this campus to not only turn Champaign-Urbana into a home, but also make lasting bonds that will forever give Illinois a distinct place in your heart. Regardless of your involvements during your time here, there are a plethora of possibilities to explore, and my advice is to take advantage of every single one of them. Congratulations on joining one of the greatest collegiate families and traditions in the world, and I cannot wait for you all to fall in love with Illinois the same way I have.

In Orange & Blue,

Samantha Rothman

President of Panhellenic Council

Hello Illini! Welcome to the University of Illinois!

Wherever you are from in the world, I hope you find your home here in the cornfields of Champaign-Urbana. My name is Neil Bhide and I am this year’s president of the Engineering Council. I am very lucky to be surrounded by a large amount of international students in the College of Engineering who bring their own stories and ideas to the classroom. Having the opportunity to experience the global mindset as an undergrad has made my experience at Illinois that much better. One of Engineering Council’s goals is to improve international students’ experiences with events that help them acclimate to life here in America. It is important to celebrate diversity and inclusion. Again, welcome to Illinois and I hope you embrace everything that central Illinois has to offer.

Neil Bhide

Engineering Council President

Welcome to the University of Illinois!

I hope you find our very first international student guide helpful. My last three years at Illinois have been fantastic. I’ve met many mentors, learned so much and made lasting friendships. I hope that everyone else experiences the same type of joy I have at the University.

The years ahead will be sure to offer you countless opportunities to learn and grow as people.

Just know that The Daily Illini is here to serve you. We are here to give you the latest news on campus. No matter who you are, please know that your voice matters. It is important that you as a reader, know that. Speak out against what you think is wrong in the world.

If you have any critiques of this guide, our coverage overall or just have questions about The Daily Illini, don’t hesitate to email me at [email protected].

Masaki Sugimoto

Editor-in-Chief