Find contentment in communal places

SPAN 308: Spanish in the United States is held in the Foreign Languages Building on April 16. Chatting with others in your classrooms is a great way to meet good study buddies — and friends.

By Clare Budin

No matter where you’re from or how close the comfort of your hometown friends and the nostalgic warmth of your family’s secret recipes is, homesickness and loneliness are bound to visit all college students in one way or another. As an uneasy freshman, I could take a three-hour bus ride back home in Chicago if I was sick or just wanted to flop on my own couch and sleep in my own childhood bed. However, if your hometown and old friends can only be reached by plane, this isn’t as much of an option. Luckily, the University has countless spaces and resources to meet with fellow students who share the same interests, passions and struggles while taking in the rich academic and social scene Champaign-Urbana has to offer.

Any classroom on campus

To some, this suggestion might be more than a little obvious. Of course, you’re bound to meet other students when you’re crammed in a classroom together several times a week. However, for others, especially during bleak morning classes or difficult gen-eds, their first instinct to survive may be to keep their heads down and work alone. Not only can avoiding other students’ input and study damage you academically, but it can also prevent you from forming real social bonds and friendships made from mutual interests, constructive communication and a shared desire to succeed. I still regularly talk with friends I met in freshman year classrooms and study groups, and those friends you meet in an academic setting can often be the most supportive and understanding of your struggles as an international student. While some in your social group might be a reliable partner at bars or apartment parties, what’s even more valuable are those who you know you can rely on during more difficult and stressful times.

Illini Union Rec Room 

Come at me, snobby seniors — I’ll never get tired of a hilariously incompetent game of pool, bowling or Dance Dance Revolution in the Illini Union Rec Room. Besides being a great place to hang with friends or build bonds with club members, the Rec Room also has great opportunities to meet new people through events, lessons and competitions. The Union has bowling leagues for committed pro teams or casual meetups, as well as Pool School, which for a small price allows you to learn the basics of billiards while interacting with other beginners. These events bring you together with other fun-loving students with the added benefit of teaching you how to bowl without bumpers and play pool without injury or property damage from a wild cue ball.

Campus Recreation Centers

While group fitness classes come at an extra cost for students, it can be well worth it for those who are looking to get fit while meeting other active students. What could be better after the pain and gain of a morning cycle class or an evening round of body combat than a post-workout meal with your relieved classmates? With countless types of workout classes around the clock at the University’s recreation centers, you’re bound to find a session that works for your personal fitness goals with a friendly and supportive environment, not to mention the benefits for your mental health. Exercise helps to decrease stress and take your mind off any worries of the day. If you’re unsure you’re ready to commit to a semester pass, Campus Recreation offers single-use passes for you to try out a class. Have fun getting fit while getting social!