Enjoy your own company: Visit these campus locations when you want to be alone

Madeline Pierce

A handful of students study in the College of Law Library on Sept. 20, 2019.

By Maii Rashed, Assistant Editor

The University of Illinois has one of the highest international student populations in the United States. While many future students will be shown around campus and be encouraged to spend the majority of their time surrounded by people and expected to mingle, there are just as many places to have some time on your own. 

Oftentimes, the college experience is the time in which students have the most social interaction. New students have so many options at the University in terms of clubs and social gatherings that they may feel pressured to constantly be surrounded by a swarm of people. 

Because of new restrictions made around campus due to COVID-19, the likelihood of being around a lot of people is drastically decreased. However, that does not mean participation will, and with that comes social pressures. 

Many dorms have lounge areas as well as private study rooms. However, that does not mean there aren’t options outside of your living area. While secluding yourself for studying is most likely a good idea, doing other things alone — like eating — will help build your confidence as well as allow you leeway to spend some time alone. 

If you’re looking for a nice place to eat alone without the fear of being bothered, dining halls usually have lounge areas with single seating. The Union Building also has a basement with many seating options including outdoor seating and basement seating with small nooks and crannies. 

A more obvious place is the library since that is where many people go to study. However, if you’re just looking for some time alone, any campus library — like the Undergraduate Library — will allow you to sit alone comfortably while making you look busy, allowing zero room for interruption. 

Depending on the weather, almost any grassy area outside is welcome for any passerby to utilize. Passing by most quads, you can often see groups lounging around and enjoying the weather but you also constantly see single individuals sitting outside doing work and lazing about. 

If you’re attending in-person classes this year, almost every University building allows you seating whether you’re waiting for a class or not. Many people also often tend to sit along the edges of the hallways while waiting for their classes. 

Spending quality time with people and creating a good social life for yourself in college is exceptionally important. However, it is important not to get too caught up in being around people all the time. While college is a time in your life to meet new people and make new experiences, it is also an opportunity to feel confident in your own skin and be able to enjoy your own company.

Maii is a sophomore in LAS.