How to lose your roommate in 10 days

By Marissa Plescia, Assistant Features Editor

August 22, 2018

Filed under Move-In Guide, Special Sections

Living with a roommate is brand new territory for a lot of people. It’s not like sharing a room with a sibling back home. You’re living with someone who may be a complete stranger and for some, it works out great. But for others, not so much. Here is a day-by-day list of what not to do as a roommate...

Don’t forget to thank your parents

By Samantha Boyle, Assistant Daytime News Editor

August 22, 2018

In a small dorm room with a lot of other students moving in at the same time as you, the whole process of getting settled in can become overwhelming. During this time, it is important to remember to stay grounded and to remember who got you here in the first place. If this is your first time moving out and aw...

Top five things to keep in mind so you don’t look stupid

By Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

August 22, 2018

All right, this one goes out to all those rookies out there. I’m going to be honest, no matter the situation, you are going to look stupid. Coming to a new school and getting adjusted takes some time. Almost every new student will find themselves failing to understand some of the basic, everyday...

What to bring (and not to bring) to college

By Toni Pantone, Assistant Design Editor

August 22, 2018

Starting college is an extremely big change in life. You have to choose the right classes, move into your dorm, get settled, make friends and maintain good grades. You also have to buy a lot of stuff and bring them to college with you, mostly for your dorm. This is a pretty big task, and the list of items...

Why you should move in a day early

Why you should move in a day early

By Kelly Johnson, Social Media Director

August 22, 2018

On Move-In Day, my roommate and I woke up in our freshly made dorm room beds to the sound of stressed parents. Looking out the window, I saw the cause: a mile of cars trying to move toward the dorms. We got to relax on Move-In Day because we moved in the day before, and you should too. Firstly, let...

Don’t be a hot mess: Maximize space, minimize clutter

By Pari Apostolakos, Assistant Features Editor

August 22, 2018

It’s the second week of school. Picture this: your clothes are in a pile on the floor, every open surface in your room is completely covered by food, makeup, school supplies or any of your other possessions. You trip over shoes the second you dare to open your door to this vortex. It has happened, y...

Dorms are a great place to make friends

Dorms are a great place to make friends

By Rachael Bolek, Managing Editor for Online

August 22, 2018

Residence halls are a great place to make friends as a freshman, especially since you are required to live in a dorm for your first year at the University. Most of the people you meet in your building will be either a freshman or a sophomore, so you know those around you will be having some of the same...

Make an on-the-go food journal

By Molly Zupan, Special Sections Editor

August 22, 2018

Over the past two years as a college student, I have consumed a disgusting amount of junk food. This year, I have decided to make a change. McDonalds, chocolate-covered pretzels and noodles were the bulk of my diet during freshman and sophomore years, but I think I've finally found a way to actually...

Ten things to do after you move in

Ten things to do after you move in

By Andrea Flores, Longform Editor

August 22, 2018

The crazy part is over. You've loaded up the car, hugged your dog goodbye and hit the road to Champaign. You've gotten your dorm keys, hung up your high school pictures and said farewells to your family. Now it’s just you and this big, probably somewhat lonely, campus. So now what? Here are 10...

Compromise with, respect your roommate

By Alex Greulich, Copy Chief

August 22, 2018

It's the beginning of the year and everyone is excited to move into their dorms. Students get to live with other students, sometimes for the first time, and it's an entirely new dynamic. You yourself might have the opportunity to finally live with your best friend from high school, someone you've known...

Getting to know Campustown from day one

By Tyler Panlilio, Opinions Editor

August 22, 2018

Every incoming freshman has visited the Main Quad at some point during their campus visits — it’s the big green area surrounded by a bunch of academic buildings. Well, it turns out using this as a reference point can help you get around campus quite easily, especially during move-in day. Using th...

Don’t worry if campus doesn’t immediately feel like home

By Jamie Linton, Assistant Opinions Editor

August 22, 2018

The quote, “College is only four years, but if you do it right four years is enough,” can seem equal parts reassuring and terrifying for an incoming freshman. There’s an abundance of external pressure to “make the most of your experience” and “enjoy the best years of your life.” And whil...

Next Page »