You’re not alone

By Molly Zupan, Special Sections Editor

In my eyes, freshman year was filled with turmoil. Various events of what felt like devastation and heartbreak filled my head and took my focus away from starting my college career off on the right foot. At times, I felt very lost, overwhelmed and frustrated with myself.

Since then, I’ve learned so much about myself. That statement sounds cliche, but believe me, it is much more than a simple saying.

I was enduring so many changes all at once, and I constantly felt waves of pressure and defeat. I often doubted and blamed myself, and I failed to recognize that I was actually going through a lot.

Bits and pieces of my freshman year of college taught me the importance of understanding myself, my needs, strengths and weaknesses, and working with what I’ve got.

College is the start of something new, and it is so easy to become stressed when a lot of changes and adjustments are on your plate. Don’t let that feeling take over; remember that you aren’t entirely on your own.

Whenever you are hit with something new, overwhelming, disappointing or even disturbing, pause and think carefully about it. If you feel even slightly uneasy, don’t react instantly and consider the possible outcomes and how they will affect your well-being.

Always consider what matters to you most and act accordingly based on those needs and desires.

Since my freshman year, I’ve recognized that I tend to react immediately and poorly, without thinking thoroughly when dealing with overwhelming and unexpected instances.

I realized that some of those actions punctured my well-being, and ultimately my relationships with others and my college experience. But I didn’t come this far on my own.

Friends, family and even professors lifted me when I was at my lows, and I would likely still be down if they weren’t around to talk to.

We are all human, which means we are equally likely to make mistakes, endure heartbreak, have a mental breakdown and so on. Always remember this: No matter what you are going through, there is likely someone nearby who can relate.

While you are learning more about yourself, take the extra step to learn more about others as well, and you may find comfort or a helping hand.

Embrace your college years fully and don’t let stresses, no matter what depth, affect how you see yourself or others around you. Reach out, speak up and listen.

The class of 2018 is a big one, and you are an essential part of it.

Molly is a junior in FAA.