Utilize this advice to smoothly transition into Illinois

By Raina Kutliroff, Staff Writer

Making the big decision to leave one school for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is about to be the best decision you will ever make. The thought of leaving the school where you may have already done the hard work of finding a social group, joining clubs and academically finding your way may seem particularly daunting. It may feel exhausting to think that you are about to do it all over again. Take a breath and know that this time it will be different. 

Other than being one of the best universities in the world, the University of Illinois is a fairly easy school to transition into because of all of the social opportunities, especially for a transfer student. Initially coming to the University of Illinois, I found myself constantly comparing the University to my previous college. I quickly learned that the University is such a unique school that it needs to have its own time to shine, free of comparisons to other institutions. 

The University community will always be around to help ensure you won’t experience the I-took-the-wrong-bus-route-and-now-I-am-stuck-in-residential-Urbana adventure that many freshmen experience. The key advice is to not be afraid to ask questions. Here in the Midwest, University students are used to random people asking for directions or even going up to a student and asking them to meet up or grab some coffee. University students are among the kindest and most welcoming student body there is, so be sure to utilize the Midwestern hospitality to your benefit. 

Another piece of advice is to use what you have learned at your previous school and remember that absolutely no one knows how awkward you may be feeling on the inside. If at your previous school it was tempting to stay home or in your dorm room, know that the University would love for you to be a part of campus. There are constantly events going on, whether it’s sports games, music shows, social parties or dorm hangouts, everything is worth at least one try before you decide it’s not your thing. Even though an event may feel awkward to be a part of, keep in mind that no one knows what you’re thinking, and at Illinois, most people don’t even care. It’s worth it to push yourself and try new things before you decide it’s not for you. 

Quad Day is one of the only events during the year that almost the entire student body goes to, so try not to pass up on the opportunity! Whenever you hear or see a poster for a club that sounds even semi-interesting, write it down and send them an email. Even if it feels weird, attend one meeting and see what you think. There are nearly hundreds of clubs at the University and each one attracts a very different type of crowd, so it’s nearly impossible for a student to dislike every single club available. The University also has specific events for transfer students that you will receive emails about and can attend to socialize with other transfer students to compare your own experiences.

Branch out. Just because there is a community in your dorm or academic major does not mean you cannot talk to other people who don’t fall into those communities. Talk to people in your general education classes and definitely take advantage of group projects since those are a great way to get to know people you might not otherwise talk to. Try a visit or event at a cultural house, even and especially if it’s a culture you don’t know much about. 

Lastly, remember to push yourself while still feeling comfortable. It is important to push yourself to try new things, but if something feels uncomfortable, then it might not be for you. The experience at Illinois will be frustrating at times, but the positive emotions will far outweigh the negative ones. I-L-L!