Finding a club for every personality

Claire Everett

Tim Smith, university alumnus and Student Sustainable Farm volunteer picks a bunch of kale for a customer at the farmstand on the quad, which runs every Thursday from 12-2 throughout the summer.

By Joseph Longo, Assistant News Editor

With over 1,400 RSOs available at the University, a club exists for nearly every type of interest. But, finding one’s place among such a large array of choices can be overwhelming.

Given the size of Quad Day, it is not uncommon to accidentally miss a noteworthy booth.

But don’t worry. We’ve done the work for you. Among the endless RSOs, a select few stand out. Below is a list of recommended clubs for different personality types. Some are large and popular, while others small and new. But each one provides an opportunity to get involved and meet cool people on campus.

For the music lover: StarCourse

Despite its high enrollment numbers, this organization that brings major musical artists to campus stays under the radar. They cover all aspects of live concerts, from advertising to stage production. Last year they brought acts such as Father John Misty, Nate Reuss and rap duo Rae Sremmurd, among others, to campus.

For the want-to-be Simone Biles: Flippin’ Illini Gymnastics Club
For those who have been religiously watching the Final Five dominate the Rio Olympics, here’s your opportunity to try out the sport. The club sport welcomes students of all experience levels, especially first timers. They compete in routine Saturday meets, but all are optional.

For the social justice activist: YWCA & YMCA at University of Illinois

Recognized as the oldest continuously operating student-focused organization in America, the YWCA helps empower women. Located just off the Quad, the University YMCA hosted a weekly “Friday Forum” lecture series last year entitled “Breaking Down Racism.” One major keynote speaker: Black Lives Matter cofounder Opal Tometi.

For the road bike enthusiasts: Bikeface

Acting as an intermediary between the University and the local bike community, Bikeface offers assistance in sport, maintenance and utilities. The group’s Facebook page serves as a primary information source on upcoming bike rides and other events. Last April, even Interim Chancellor Barbara Wilson joined in on a ride.

For the future Saturday Night Live star: The Phoenix Improv Company

Known for their long form arrangements, the group has performed all across campus. Tryouts typically occur around two to three weeks into the school, so follow their Facebook and Twitter accounts for more information.