Siam Terrace: A modern Thai restaurant in the heart of downtown Urbana

Siam Terrace, an authentic Thai restaurant, is famous for its real Thai taste, high customer satisfaction and cozy atmosphere.

Worapot Tangmunarunkit and Ratana Darawankul, a couple from Thailand, obtained their master’s from Illinois. The wife enjoys cooking, and the husband enjoys washing dishes, so they launched a restaurant.

When they were students, Asian cuisine wasn’t as abundant or accessible. Its opening created an explosion of Asian restaurant popularity on campus.

Since its opening in 2004, Siam Terrace has happily been hosting customers for nearly 14 years. The couple’s passion to expose the Champaign-Urbana community to authentic Thai cuisine has created a long-standing tradition.

The philosophy of Siam Terrace is to “make people happy eating.” Tangmunarunkit hopes every customer enjoys both the fantastic food and the sweet service. He, explaining their philosophy, shared that he wants people “to enjoy gourmet food through our warm service.” He also hopes people find “a sense of family” — something you don’t typically find at a restaurant.

Siam Terrace is passionate about curating real Thai taste, which is why most ingredients are from Thailand except for some special conditions.

The couple recommends the following top three, must-try dishes:

1. Pineapple Fried Rice

The fried rice is flavored with curry powder, sweet onions, pineapple and shrimp, and is tossed with crunchy cashews.

2. Fire Cracker Chicken

The premium chicken breast, garlic, ginger, spicy Thai sauce and special rice combine to make an irresistible entree.

3. Hainan Chicken

A spicy and sweet taste, the fantastic fried chicken with Thai sauce is topped with crunchy peanut.

Be sure to experience Siam Terrace’s authentic Thai delicacies at 212 W. Main St. in Urbana, open Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. The restaurant is also open open Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 9 p.m.