Apartment Buildings Recent U of I Grads Should Consider When Moving to Chicago

Chicago is a popular destination for recent college graduates to consider thanks to abundant job opportunities, an endless amount of culture and things to do, and a pretty reasonable cost of living compared to many other major coastal cities on either side of the country. But even with the University of Illinois only being a 2+ hour drive from Chicago, moving to a completely new environment can be intimidating and overwhelming without careful planning and preparation. Along with learning the city’s different neighborhoods, commute times from certain locations you’re considering for an apartment, and all the various nuances associated with the CTA and public transit system, you’ll also need to scout which apartment buildings in the city fit both your budget and your lifestyle needs, which can often be a difficult tightrope to walk. So to help get your search started for the perfect Chicago apartment, we’ve identified 3 of the Windy City’s best apartment buildings recent college grads should consider during an upcoming move.

Wolf Point West
343 W Wolf Point Plaza, Chicago, IL 60654
Finished back in 2015, Wolf Point West features 529 apartments throughout its 46 floors, providing prospective tenants with options upon options when it comes to floor plans, living spaces, and price ranges. The building itself is about as impressive as it gets for a downtown apartment tower, which is partly because of a premium location that lies at the interaction of the north, south, and main branches of the Chicago River in the city’s lively River North neighborhood. Inside, apartments offer awesome views of the river and surrounding cityscape thanks to huge floor-to-ceiling windows, and you’ll also have access to a wealth of common lifestyle amenities that range from an outdoor swimming pool and spa to a state-of-the-art exercise facility and resident lounge complete with a golf simulator. Rental rates at Wolf Point West start at $2,246 for a studio and $2,472 for a one-bedroom apartment, which is extremely competitive for recent new construction in River North.

Residences at Addison & Clark
1025 W Addison St, Chicago, IL 60613
Famously located across the street from Wrigley Field, there’s no better location to experience the north side lifestyle than right here at the Residences at Addison & Clark. As you might expect, summers are an absolute blast at the building as Wrigleyville comes alive for the baseball season. But along with that, you’ll also enjoy a close proximity to the CTA Red Line, as well as an amazing collection of lifestyle amenities residents have complete and total access to that include a rooftop pool and grilling area, an indoor resident lounge and entertainment space, secure garage parking, and even an outdoor dog park and pet spa that is perfect for all you dog lovers out there. Apartment sizes and the Residences at Addison & Clark range from 501 to 1,409 square feet, ideal for the recent college graduate who needs at least some space but not something over-the-top. Recent rental rates have a 670 square foot studio, which is a fairly spacious studio compared to many downtown or vintage buildings you’ll find nearby, starting at $2,475/month with larger one-bedroom units with over 760 square feet priced just over $3,000/month.

NEMA
1210 S Indiana Ave, Chicago, IL 60605
If you’re looking for a bit of a “wow” factor in a new Chicago apartment, you’ll certainly find it over at NEMA in Chicago’s South Loop. Overlooking both Grant Park and Lake Michigan for the most part, NEMA not only offers spectacular living spaces in a prime downtown location but also over 70,000 square feet of amenity space to help satisfy all your entertainment, wellness, and productivity needs. Included are common area amenities like co-working space with private meeting and conference rooms; a 10,000 square foot, lushly landscape swimming pool and sundeck area that truly is one of the best outdoor amenity spaces you’ll find in the city; an urban lounge with additional indoor/outdoor entertaining space, a pool table, fire features, and a catering kitchen; a separate game room with old school arcade games and an attached outdoor terrace; a private media room and movie theater with VR consoles; and a spa-like fitness and wellness center that includes a 75-foot lap pool with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the city. Oh, and did we mention that NEMA is also Chicago’s tallest all-rental apartment tower, ensuring incredible views from nearly all of its upper floor units? Despite being one of the city’s premier apartment towers, rental rates at NEMA are surprisingly competitive with studios starting at $2,319/month and one-bedroom apartments starting at $2,678/month.