Smorgasbord of Illinois athletics

By BobLaGesse

For the casual sports fan, the Illinois athletic calendar consists of two things: football season and men’s basketball season. That’s it. Come on now, spring is for tanning, not sports.

Unfortunately, those fans are missing most of the Illini sports experience. The athletic program at Illinois is a lot like dorm food on campus. Most people are unsure what it really consists of when arriving at school, but when they try it, they find they can get something they like.

So, to whet your appetite, here’s a little something on each Illinois varsity sport.

The men’s tennis team is to tennis what the Jordan-led Bulls were to basketball. The team won the 2003 national title and had their 64-match winning streak snapped in the national semifinals last year by UCLA. Not to mention that the team has won eight consecutive Big Ten titles.

Women’s volleyball can match, if not exceed, last year’s Sweet Sixteen appearance because honorable mention All-American Erin Virtue, the heart and soul of the team, will not let it happen.

For the ladies who like watching men in tight uniforms, you’re in luck. The men of the Illinois wrestling team not only don tight uniforms but are also extremely consistent. The Illini have finished in the top 10 in the country the last seven years.

The women’s soccer team came out of nowhere last year to win its first Big Ten Tournament Championship and make it to the first round of the NCAA tournament. This year the team returns with one of the best defenses in the nation, anchored by All-American senior goalie Leisha Alcia, who gives up goals as often as intoxicated freshmen try to avoid drinking tickets in bar raids.

While the Olympic gymnastics scores this year appear to be picked out of a hat, the Illini are not worrying about it. They are too busy working to defend their conference title and have a shot at a national title after taking third last year. For the lady gymnasts, Cara Pomeroy can’t top the Illini’s first perfect 10 she recorded in the NCAA regional meet, but the Illini look to send more than Pomeroy and Ashley Williams to the NCAA Championships this year.

The softball team, coming off its first Sweet Sixteen appearance, aims for the postseason again with All-Big Ten selections first baseman Jenna Hall and outfielder Rachelle Coriddi. The baseball team hopes to bounce back from its worst season in 25 years. And why not? The stable of injured pitchers – headed by starter Brian Blomquist – returns.

The men’s golf team looks to make it to the NCAA Championships after going to the regionals for the last three years. The women’s team will try to improve on their ninth-place finish in the Big Ten Championships as they will have to replace Michelle Carroll and Marla Cox, who both finished in the top 20 in the Big Ten Championships.

Orange Krush fans who enjoy the men’s version of the 100-meter dash on a basketball court will find that the women’s team can run-and-gun as well, led by second team All-Big Ten selection forward Angelica Williams and guard Tiffanie Guthrie.

The women’s track and cross country teams are led by Cassie Hunt, the reigning cross country freshman of the year and an All-American in track and field. The men’s cross country team is ready to run past the rest of the conference and Trent Hoerr, who ran for the U.S. in the IAAF World Cross Country Championships in Brussels, will be in the front of the pack. For track fans, Illinois has a treat for you – as long as you don’t blink. Abe Jones and Adrian Walker were All-Americans in the 400-meter hurdles last year.

And how can you not like a swimming team that produced an Olympian? Ilkay Dikmen competed for Turkey in Athens in the 100-meter and 200-meter breaststroke.

Bon app‚tit.

Bobby La Gesse is a senior in communications. He can be reached at [email protected].