UI’s George wins second bronze

By Josh George

Editor’s note: Josh George is a junior in communications. He is competing in track and field at the Paralympic Games in Athens, Greece. He’s keeping a journal, and he agreed to share it. Although his busy schedule does not allow for regular updates, he will update his journal whenever possible.

9/26/04

Helpful hint from Josh: Don’t fall asleep on the starting line of a sprint. Yes ladies and gentleman, I ran the 100 last night, and I must have been dozing on the line.

All I know is that 40 meters into the race I was a few meters behind everybody, and I got nervous. My heart started jumping through my chest and I was finally able to get my arms to move as fast as my brain wanted them to go. Fortunately, I still had enough speed, and time left in the race, to snipe out five of my seven competitors and to snatch a bronze medal by less than a tenth of a second.

I like ’em close and exciting I suppose. I have no explanation for how my race started. I stewed out on the start line and miraculously fought my way back in it. It was like some bizarre “Rocky” movie, where the only way to win is to get the snot beat out of you first so you realize what you’re losing. Whatever, enough dribble. It’s over. I pulled out my second medal of the Games. And I am very, very happy.

But with every few goods comes a bad.

I am tearfully sad to say that I had to pull out of the marathon that I was supposed to run this morning. “It was the smart thing to do,” is what I keep hearing from everyone who knows me. You see, I have a 200-meter final tomorrow that I have a good shot at winning, and the marathon very well could take enough out of me that I would no longer have that shot had I pushed it.

So that is all I am going to say about that.

I am pissed off that the marathon was placed smack dab in the middle of competition instead of on the very last day, when it is traditionally run. GRRRRRRRRR. That is how I feel and I’m sticking to it. But now I damn well better have a good showing in the 200.

Ahh, now I become a vegetable for the day storing energy and food. Sounds good, and I really do need the rest. Adieu.