Illini hockey returns with fresh slate

By Dan Berrigan

Six months of waiting will end tonight when Illini hockey returns to Champaign.

At 7 p.m., the Illini Hockey Club will begin the 2004-2005 season against the Blue Devils of Fredonia State, and renew their quest for a national championship.

But before this happens, what is it about a new season that is so exciting?

Maybe it’s the fresh start.

Last year was a rollercoaster ride for the Illini, which ultimately ended in catastrophe against Minot State, when the team squandered a three-goal lead and finished in fifth place.

“It was actually the most disappointing ending to a season I’ve had since I’ve been here,” head coach Chad Cassel said. “It was the first time we’ve gone into a national tournament and not finished higher than we were ranked going in. (Minot State) wasn’t a very good team, and we beat ourselves.”

But the start of a new season allows the team to move on, and brings a renewal of hope for a team with plenty of potential.

This year, the top four scorers from last season return alongside league Rookie of the Year, sophomore goaltender Mike DeGeorge.

“We’ve got a bunch of studs on our team this year. They should put up a lot of points, and give the fans a show,” senior forward Scott Kohler said.

The new season also means new players, and the Illini have 11 rookies this year on an already young team.

“I think this is the best rookie class that we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Cassel said. “We definitely have a lot of work to do with so many new guys, but the first month has gone very well and I’m excited to see how everyone does this weekend.”

It was just two years ago that the Illini went 37-2, were ranked No. 1 in the country and went to the Final Four at nationals – losing to league rival, Ohio.

Senior forward Brett Duncan said this year may be different than last because the team is more of a unit.

“A lot of the upperclassmen all lived together, and we’ve been good friends for a long time, so team camaraderie this year is excellent,” Duncan said.

So tonight, after lying dormant for six months, the stands above the Ice Arena will fill with rabid Illini fans thirsty for a new opposing goaltender to rip to shreds.

“Four weeks of practice builds up, and you just want to go out there, put on a show for the fans, and overall get the ‘W’ in the end,” Kohler said.