Hockey takes on Iowa State

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Dan Berrigan

The Illini Hockey Club knew it would be tough to beat No. 8 Iowa State four times in a row, but it has the opportunity to do so this weekend for the third straight year.

Last weekend, the No. 5 Illini needed two third period comebacks to keep the streak alive, and this weekend won’t be any easier. The wounds are still fresh, the bruises are still sore and the Cyclones are still set on vengeance – especially after the Illini backed up statements by senior forward Jim Rogers who said he hated the Cyclones and wanted to make them realize they are the “weaker team.”

“The guys can say anything they want in the newspaper, but they better make sure they back it up on the ice,” Illinois head coach Chad Cassel said. “(Iowa State) could have very easily won both games, so they’re hungry.”

He said Iowa State is the best they have been in a long time, so beating the Cyclones four straight times would be a major accomplishment for the young Illini early in the season.

Momentum is crucial to winning the series, and senior forward Scott Kohler said it has been carrying over from last weekend.

“Taking the two wins in the third period last weekend should have opened up (Iowa State’s) eyes to what we can do,” Kohler said.

The Cyclones will battle hard and early to rekindle the spark for their team, but if “Chiclets” do appear on the ice, Kohler said they won’t be his unless he deserved it.

“Friday will be a dog fight,” he said. “Both teams will be out for blood in the first period to set the precedent for the rest of the weekend.”

Illinois is also going to need another strong performance from sophomore goaltender Mike DeGeorge. In his eight starts, DeGeorge has only allowed 10 goals and has a save percentage of 93.4.

“Mike (DeGeorge) has been outstanding,” Cassel said. “The big thing last weekend was that the team made mistakes, and he made a lot of big saves when we needed him to. Whether we were down two goals and they had the opportunity to make it three, or it was tied, they had some great looks and Mike came up big for us, and that’s what we need.”

The rookies also stepped in and played well last weekend after junior defenseman Andy Lubesnick suffered a concussion in the first period. Lubesnick is fine and will play this weekend, Cassel said.

Three freshmen and a sophomore came in and played well on defense in their first road games, Cassel said.

Freshman forward Nick Fabbrini, who has five goals and six assists this season, said it’s been easy to adjust to the college level, but he’s still adapting to the speed of the game.

None of the players were born when the first game between Illinois and Iowa State took place in Champaign on Dec. 4, 1971 – a 4-3 loss for the Illini. The new generation of Illini have dominated Iowa State over the last few years, and haven’t lost to the Cyclones since Jan. 26, 2002. Despite the trends, the Illini have no plans of letting up on Iowa State.

“This team should never lose a game at home, ever. It doesn’t matter who we play,” Cassel said. “As long as we show up, ready to play, good things will happen for us.”