Rookie pulls his weight

By Dan Berrigan

After last season, the Illini Hockey Club needed more goal-scorers, and the rookie class has answered the call. In ten games, freshmen have been contributing just as much as seniors – two of the five leaders in points are rookies. One of those freshmen is forward Drew Heredia.

Due to illness, Heredia won’t play this weekend against Kent State, but he’s chipped in a lot in the nine games he has played. He has seven assists and four goals, which is just as many as senior forwards Brett Duncan and Scott Kohler have scored.

“(Heredia) is big, strong, skates well, and he has all the tools – physical play with a good scoring touch,” Illini head coach Chad Cassel said. “He’s a very smart player as well and has stepped in, picked everything up and played very well for us.”

Heredia wasn’t born with hockey talent, but did start playing at the age of 5, when he started taking skating lessons, he said.

“My brother was the better of the two of us until I was 12,” Heredia said. “I kind of broke out and began playing more competitively.”

He said he played with junior forward Steve Krate’s brother, Nick, in Chicago, and became convinced that Illinois was the best place for him to get an education and play hockey at the same time.

“It’s awesome,” Heredia said. “It’s cool to have all the fans on our side and play for a school.”

The jump to college was tough to gauge, he said, but good chemistry with his linemates made it easier.

Being a “rook” isn’t all roses – some veterans enjoy picking on the new guys.

“They all have their own little jobs, whether it’s filling up water bottles, picking up pucks after practice or carrying the veterans’ bags on road trips,” Duncan said.

After seven straight wins, this weekend against Kent State will be another difficult test for the Illini – both young and old.

Kent State has already split this season against the 2004 National Champion Ohio Bobcats, and Cassel said the size and physicality makes the games against the Golden Flashes tough.

Last season, Kent State was able to defeat Illinois for the first time 4-3.

“They’re dangerous,” Cassel said. “They brought in a new coach and a lot of new players, so we are going to have our hands full.”