Illini prepare for season-ending tourney

By Lucas Deal

Men’s and women’s wheelchair basketball will be hosting their final regular season tournament this weekend at IMPE, with the men competing in four games and the women in three.

In addition to the Illini teams, the tournament will feature several of the top collegiate wheelchair teams in the country, including Texas-Arlington, Arizona, Wisconsin-Whitewater and Edinboro.

Following this weekend’s tournament, the men will have nearly three weeks off before attending the National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament, held March 3-6 in Arlington, Texas.

The women’s team will also be given a well-needed weekend off – and will not play again until the National Women’s Wheelchair Basketball Tournament, held Feb. 22-27 in Slippery Rock, Pa.

This weekend’s tournament begins Friday morning at 8:30, with Texas-Arlington battling Edinboro in the opening game. The Illini men and women will both open the tournament at 10:30, with the women taking on Wisconsin-Whitewater and the men Arizona. All games will be played at IMPE and will run until 10:30 both Friday and Saturday night.