Second time’s a charm

By Ian Gold

The last time Illinois saw the Badgers, they were celebrating while walking off the Kohl Center floor, elated after snapping a Wisconsin 38-game home winning streak.

On Saturday, the Badgers will be entering Assembly Hall with similar thoughts of ruining weekends and shattering streaks.

Illinois is currently riding a 24-game win streak – the best in the nation – and has an 18-game win streak at Assembly Hall. Not quite 38, but still large enough to tempt an upset from a team that’s become arguably Illinois’ biggest rival inside the Big Ten. Illinois has also won 20 consecutive Big Ten regular season games – the best such streak in Illinois basketball history.

“Everyone keeps telling us there is a target on our backs,” said head coach Bruce Weber. “As we keep winning, the target keeps getting bigger and bigger. And then when other people play tough against us, people look at us like, ‘What happened?'”

Illinois has grown accustomed to taking every team’s best shots and then trying to return blows. Wisconsin might be the only team that can avoid looking at Illinois as the giant among men. The Badgers have won three of the last five against the Illini.

“For them it’s a chance to get back into the race,” Weber said.

Wisconsin is coming off an emotional comeback victory against Iowa and is 16-5 overall, 7-3 in conference.

Wisconsin is led by junior swingman Alando Tucker and senior forward Mike Wilkinson. The two present match-up problems for the Illini, who have struggled against players with inside-outside ability.

“Tucker can handle the ball like a guard but also take it inside like a power forward,” Weber said. “When that guy can go inside and outside, I think that has given us problems.”

Beating Wisconsin would keep Illinois on its path to winning a second consecutive Big Ten Championship. The players have insisted that the win streak and being No. 1 haven’t cost them any sleep; it’s the championships that they are about.

“You don’t get a ring for being No. 1,” Weber tells his team. “Not for nine weeks, ten weeks. You get something to take with you when you win a Big Ten Championship, that ring. Final Four, National Championship, you get the rings and that’s our goals.”

Assembly Hall Noise

Students and fans have called the atmosphere at Assembly Hall unsatisfactory for the last few games. With Wisconsin being the last nationally ranked visitor to travel to Champaign, the fans have an opportunity to make their presence known.

“I haven’t noticed,” Weber said. “I heard grumblings after the Indiana game. The one thing I would ask of the fans is to make noise when we are struggling and that they don’t sit down; that’s when we need the energy.”BY IAN GOLD

Senior writer

Assembly Hall Noise

“I haven’t noticed,” Weber said. “I heard grumblings after the Indiana game. The one thing I would ask of the fans is to make noise when we are struggling and that they don’t sit down; that’s when we need the energy.”