Column: Duck Fuke

By Jacob Bressler

It is a moment that will likely stay with me for a very long time.

It is not a pleasurable memory, but one that has resonated in my head – kind of like when you first realize that Santa Claus, or in my case Hanukkah Harry, doesn’t actually exist.

The moment I’m referring to is when Duke shooting guard J.J. Redick pulls the trigger on a three pointer with a few precious minutes left in a 2004 Sweet 16 victory over Illinois. The dagger ices the game for the hated Blue Devils.

As Redick runs back down the floor, the cocky sharp-shooter nods his head, exuding the “Duke mentality,” which I define as their notion that “We’re better than you, and Coach K has molded us into great players and quality human beings while running the perfect college basketball program.”

I was on spring break at the time in Panama City, Fla., and the loss put a damper on the night’s festivities. That is until my friend started throwing beer cans off of our hotel balcony to piss off Joanne, the security guard. “Another can for Joanne,” he yelled.

My friend was angry that night, primarily because of Duke and their constant winning.

Duke basketball has become an entity that people love to hate, similar to the Shaq/Kobe-led Lakers, the New York Yankees and Caleb on the The OC.

There was much rejoicing around the country Saturday night as Maryland completed an unprecedented sweep of Duke in a 99-92 overtime thriller in College Park.

Redick is the modern-day ambassador of the “Duke mentality,” and he follows in the tradition of former players such as Christian Leattner and Jayson Williams.

Redick is absolutely harassed these days when the Blue Devils play on the road. With improved play (22.5 pts/game) comes harsher punishment from opposing fans, especially if you are a Devil in the ACC.

The media has also increased the average fan’s hatred of Duke basketball. I am specifically referring to the one and only Dickie V. Hey Dick, I’m not quite sure, do you think Coach K should be the USA Olympic Coach in 2008? Also, do you think Redick is the best shooter in the country?

If Vitale had broadcast one of my junior high basketball games between Solomon Schechter and Hillel Torah, he probably would have found a way to reference Krzyzewski.

Of course, usually in sports, hatred stems from a team’s ability to win consistently. Since 1986, Duke has been to a whopping 10 Final Fours and has cut down the nets three times. Just giving credit where credit is due.

However, given the talent that Coach K has been able to accumulate at Duke, one must wonder whether or not he is actually that great of a coach or if he simply collects great talent.

While it is clear that Krzyzewski should be considered one of the great coaches in the country, it is not as simple to proclaim him the premier bench leader.

Connecticut head coach Jim Calhoun has been to two Final Fours, in 1999 and 2004, and has won the title both times. That’s 100 percent efficiency folks.

Coach K meanwhile has been to the Final Four 10 times, yet has only been able to win it all in 1991, 1992 and 2001.

Even though their talent is a little sub-par compared to years’ past, this Duke team is capable of making a run to the Final Four.

As fans around here know, a run to the Final Four is anything but a sure thing.

One thing that is for certain, though, is that there will be plenty of fans rooting against the Blue Devils come March.