Women end 2005 season with strong win

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Majesh Abraham

Every team wants to end its regular season on a good note. The Illini women’s gymnastics team finished off their season in style, winning their fourth meet in a row against Ohio State on Senior Day at Huff Hall. The women had everything going for them Saturday as they beat the Buckeyes by a score of 195.425-194.625.

“A lot of good things occurred this weekend,” said head coach Bob Starkell. “We didn’t look vulnerable in any spots. Even though it wasn’t our highest score, all in all, it was our best meet of the year.”

The women earned a higher team score than the Buckeyes on all four events, and an Illini gymnast took home all five of the individual titles. Senior Lauren Newcomb came back from a two-week layoff from the all-around and won her fifth all-around title of the season with a score of 38.925. She also won her fifth title of the season on vault at 9.850.

“Lauren had a different attitude going in because she’s been dealing with pain in her knees,” Starkell said. “It was her best vault of the year, and at this time of the year she’s confident with her gymnastics and wants to finish up at the highest level.”

Red-shirt senior co-captain Kara Kapernekas won her first title of the season on floor with a score of 9.850 and tied sophomore Cara Pomeroy on beam with a score of 9.875 to win her third beam title of the season and second in a row.

“Kapernekas has impressed me the last couple of weeks,” Starkell said. “She’s been steadily improving week after week, and we were able to get her back on bars, and it gave us the opportunity to post a higher score.”

Pomeroy also won her third beam title of the season, to go along with her sixth bars title – third in a row – with a 9.900.

“The team’s really excited, because we’ve been getting better every week,” Pomeroy said. “My confidence is really high right now since I’ve had some good meets recently, and I knew I could do well.”

It was a strong team performance, as the team received solid performances from the rest of the seniors. Ashley Williams placed fourth on vault, floor and in the all-around competition. Sara Dumich tied with Williams on floor with a score of 9.700. Margaret Dann contributed a score of 9.750 on beam, and Jessica Cole finished her last home meet with a score of 9.350 on vault. Freshman Krystal Melcarek and sophomore Danye Botterman finished second and third on bars with scores of 9.825 and 9.800, while Botterman also finished second on vault with a 9.775.

“It’s been a good and consistent season,” Starkell said. “We are performing at our highest level at the end of the season, which is what every coach wants, so you bode well in the championship meets.”

This was the Illini’s fourth win in as many meets, which gave the team an overall record of 14-4 overall and 2-2 in the Big Ten to finish the season. It was a bittersweet moment for the women, because the joy of the win was mixed with the fact that it was the last meet for the senior class.

“It was really emotional for me and really sad to know it was my last meet at Huff,” said Dumich. “I’m so grateful for the experience. None of the seniors came in as freshman knowing what to expect, and we’ve grown so close to each other and are best friends. We’re sad to see it come to an end, but we’re happy at the same time to be having a good season.”

Even though it is their last season, the seniors won’t let their emotions affect them when it comes to reaching their goals.

“Its easier to feel better about yourselves when you’re doing well,” said Dann. “Going into those next two meets we really want to do well, and personally I’m not going to let the fact that it’s my last season get to me.”

It’s the beginning of an end for a special group of girls that have left an impact on the team.

“It was a class that I spent a lot of time recruiting, and they’re from all over the country, so I was never sure how the chemistry would be,” Starkell said. “The important part is to let these seniors know that they have been an integral part of this team, and they have really given the opportunity for this team to be at its highest level right now.”