It’s tourney time

By Frank Vanderwall

On Thursday the Illini faithful will gather around their televisions, preparing for the tip off of Illinois’ first-round game against Fairleigh Dickinson at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis. As soon as the clock begins to run, Illinois will have officially set off on its run through the NCAA tournament, toward St. Louis and the Final Four.

The brackets are out and the Illini fans are ready. After a 29-1 regular season, the Fighting Illini are gearing up for this year’s potential championship run. Most students, University staff members and local residents think this is the year for something big.

Illinois has a favorable schedule, but there is some tough competition in the Chicago bracket. The fans are aware that No. 1 seeds aren’t invincible and understand that there is still a long road ahead for their Illini.

The concern for most came at the possibility of facing either Arizona or Oklahoma State in the Elite Eight. The fans said they would prefer to play Arizona.

“Oklahoma State has all of the ingredients to be a great tournament team; I would definitely rather avoid them,” said season ticket holder Brad Ptasienski, sophomore in engineering. “(Joey) Graham is a rebounding machine, and John Lucas seems to be great in clutch situations. I feel like they could match up very well with us.”

Should the Illini win the Chicago regional and make it to St. Louis, fans are most concerned with playing North Carolina, a team that has been compared to Illinois all season. However, fans say they would enjoy a North Carolina/Illinois game.

“I would love to see that game because of all the sports talk. I am sick of the analysts. I want to see the two teams go head to head and leave it all on the court,” said Ryan Berg, a CRU staff member.

On the Monday following the Illini victory over No. 1 Wake Forest, Illinois grabbed the top ranking in both the ESPN/USA Today poll and the AP poll. Since then, the Illini have retained that honor, and the campus has demonstrated its excitement for the Illini.

“I have noticed a lot more energy at the games and in the classrooms, too. Everyone is interested in talking about the basketball team,” said John Nerone, a professor in the College of Communications.

The talk continued, as the Illini wrapped up the Big Ten Tournament Championship on Sunday, putting a cap on their 32-1 pre-NCAA tournament record.

“People are excited; it’s great to be a part of Illinois basketball,” said Assistant Dean of Students Dan Bureau. “It is good for school morale, and it’s fun.”

After a 15-year drought from the Final Four, a solid performance in the brackets is not what the fans are looking for. They want a deep run from this year’s Illinois squad.

“We have as good a shot as anyone to go to St. Louis this year,” said Cory Shumard, manager of Gameday Sports. “Expectations from the Illini nation are along those same lines. They will be disappointed if this team isn’t playing in the Final Four.”

The Final Four is appealing, but most people think this Illini team has what it takes to win it all.

“Illinois has shown that they are very unselfish with the basketball,” said Eddie Young, a sophomore in LAS and member of Orange Krush. “They play as a team, and they are backed by the best coach in the nation.”

With such a disciplined and balanced squad, most fans expect to see the Illini cutting down the nets in St. Louis on April 4.

If the Illini lose, the fans will be disappointed, but most people said it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

If the Illini win, the fans plan to throw a national championship-sized celebration.

“I will be in St. Louis with my friends to support the Illini in the Final Four,” said Elizabeth Seibel, junior in education and a three-year season ticket holder. “If they win it all, we are going to stay there and party.”