Other Campuses: Cincinnati assistant basketball coach charged with DUI

By The News Record

(U-WIRE) CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati suspended assistant men’s basketball coach Keith LeGree indefinitely last Thursday after he was arrested and charged with driving under the influence Wednesday night.

The arrest comes less than a year after head coach Bob Huggins was charged with the same offense.

“Our image has taken yet another hit by the careless action of someone who, given the events of the past year, should have been very aware of the consequences,” UC Athletics Director Bob Goin said in a statement issued by the university.

Cincinnati police officers pulled over LeGree’s black SUV at 7:10 p.m. last Wednesday night, according to the arrest report made by officers Virginia Wright and John Haynes of District 5. The 33-year-old was initially detained on a stolen property charge after a stolen license plate was found on the vehicle.

Disciplinary measures by the university were quickly enacted.

“LeGree’s desk has been cleaned out, and he’s not been involved in athletics in any way,” Brian Teter, associate director of athletics said Monday.

Police had initially suspected LeGree of driving with stolen tags on his 2002 Chevy Blazer and believed that the plate on LeGree’s truck had been reported stolen by a dealership. That charge has since been dropped by the grand jury.

While detained, police found LeGree to be under the influence of alcohol. The breath analyzer test administered by police registered his blood alcohol level at .264, which is twice the legal limit allowed by the state of Ohio.

Police held LeGree overnight before he paid the bond the following day and was released on his own recognizance.

Although the recent charge will be LeGree’s first DUI offense if convicted, it comes as the second drunken driving arrest in less than a year for the men’s basketball program.

“This is totally shocking to me. In view of the harm and hurt that has already been caused to individuals, our men’s basketball program and this university,” Goin said in the statement. “The fact that we have recently had another major incident of this sort will mean this will not necessarily be treated as a first-time offense.”

UC suspended coach Bob Huggins last year following a DUI arrest on June 8 in Fairfax.

Huggin’s arrest came when the university seemed to be moving beyond a series of player arrests and NCAA rules violations in the 1990s, all of which led to probation and loss of scholarships.

LeGree’s recent arrest is but one of many that have occurred within the men’s basketball program in the past 15 years, ranging from domestic violence to punching a police horse.

Just days after UC announced his suspension last year, Huggins addressed the public at a brief press conference, apologizing to players, the university and community members for his actions.

“I made a very poor decision that’s reflected negatively on the basketball program and the university,” Huggins said. “For that, I deeply regret it. I take responsibility for my actions. I’m going to do my part to make sure that something like this will never happen again.”

Huggins underwent a 76-day suspension after UC officials met and evaluated his contributions to the athletic department. He returned as head coach in August 2004.

Similarly, until a “total evaluation” has been completed, LeGree’s suspension remains indefinite, said Greg Hand, associate vice president of public relations.

Hand also said LeGree’s suspension is a personal matter that will be dealt with solely by the athletic department.

This approach is unlike the high-profile release Huggins endured when Goin announced the suspension of the head coach on UC President Nancy Zimpher’s behalf.

LeGree will continue to collect his salary during this evaluation but will forfeit all other benefits.

He will also be completely separated from the program and will not be allowed to represent the university in any way, according to a university press release.

LeGree played point guard for Huggins on the 1994-95 and 1995-96 men’s basketball teams.

He rejoined the squad in 1998 as a video coordinator and served one year as a junior college assistant before returning to UC as assistant coach in 2000.

LeGree could not be reached for comment.

– Curtis Penick