Column: One shining season

By Jeff Feyerer

All I can say right now is wow.

If there was anything good to come out of Monday night’s loss, it was that all of the Illini fans finally had the opportunity to catch their breath.

The 2004-2005 basketball season was a whirlwind adventure that was unexpected, unexplainable and unmatched by any sporting achievement in this institution’s history.

I can only think of two words to sum up the sentiments of the Illini nation toward Coach Weber and his squad – thank you.

Thank you for bringing this campus together.

And on a personal note, thank you for making a sports fanatic’s senior year something I will be talking about 50 years from now.

Coming into the year, there were expectations of a possible conference championship, but no one could anticipate the lambasting the rest of the Big Ten Conference would receive.

No one could envision the awards and records garnered.

If you did predict 37 wins, a Big Ten regular season and Tournament Championship, an All-Big Ten backcourt, arguably the greatest comeback in tournament history and one regular season loss, you should be placed on a mantel alongside Nostradomus.

All the Illini did was play the game the way it was meant to be played, carry themselves with dignity and honor and make us proud to be associated with Illinois.

They showed younger basketball players the right way to play the game.

They brought a university together that has been divided on a multitude of issues.

They re-established the University of Illinois spirit, not only in Chicago, but across the nation.

And they made every game since Dec. 1 a can’t-miss extravaganza and every shred of newspaper material a keepsake.

From the rout of Wake Forest, to Luther Head’s overtime takeover against Iowa, to breaking Wisconsin’s home-winning streak, a victory in East Lansing, a dunk fest against Northwestern and a Senior Night 3-point show put on by Dee Brown, the memory bank is chock full.

But the best thing this team did was give us all hope.

Time and time again, the Illini were told they wouldn’t be able to continue at their record pace or rely so much on the 3-pointer or that they simply weren’t as good as their wins indicated.

Doubters lasted the entire season, and in my opinion, despite not winning the National Championship, they proved everyone wrong.

They proved to everyone – from the greatest basketball minds in the world to the everyday novice that thinks a fast-break is a quick run to the bathroom – that they were the consummate, a blueprint for every team that comes after them.

The whole was greater than the sum of its parts and that’s the key to team sports.

Too many times you see the most talented teams fail to come together, and they eventually fall short of expectations.

The Illini didn’t do that.

They came together as a family, went on an unimaginable four-month journey and let us all come along on the trip.

We spent all season trying to concoct a nickname for this squad, but the only thing you really can call them is the Fighting Illini.

Clawing until the last second.

I don’t want to stop writing this article because it may be the last chance I get to sing the praises of what will go down as the greatest basketball team in Illinois history and one of the best seasons of all-time, but let me get a few last things out.

Luther, Roger, Nick, Jack and Fred – Good luck on everything you do in the future. I will forever remember standing up and cheering from the nosebleed seats my freshman year when you guys got playing time, because I knew senior year success depended on you guys (or I was just waiting for Luther and Roger to dunk.)

Deron, Dee and James – Please, come back. I know the NBA is waiting, but there is business to be taken care of here, too. People are still doubting Illinois.

Richard, Brian, Shaun, Calvin and Warren – The next chapter to be written is yours.

When I look back at this past season, I will always feel a pain in the pit of my stomach after Monday’s loss, but I can take solace in one thing.

Carolina may have had the moment, but for over four months, the Illini gave us one shining season no one will soon forget.