Illini win series against Spartans

By Lucas Deal

After a pair of disheartening home losses to Western Michigan last week, the Illinois baseball team quickly rebounded over the weekend, taking three of four over Michigan State in East Lansing and improving to 7-1 in the Big Ten for the first time since 1990.

In the series opener, Illinois (17-8-1) scored first and never looked back, cruising to a 12-3 win. Senior second baseman J.R. Kyes and sophomore designated hitter Mike Rohde paced Illinois’ 17-hit attack with three each, as all nine starters hit safely.

Junior right-hander Brian Blomquist (6-1) got the win for the Illini, going six and a third innings, allowing three runs, one earned, on eight hits while striking out five and walking only one.

Illini head coach Itch Jones was happy with the performance, knowing how important winning a series opener can be.

“You always want to win the Friday games because they get you some confidence for the rest of the series,” he said.

Using that confidence, Illinois jumped out early again in game two, scoring five runs in the second off Spartan starter Chris Malec. Senior first baseman Dusty Bensko led off the inning with a solo home run, and with one out senior shortstop Toby Gardenhire hit a three-run homer, the first of his Illini career. Illinois added a run in the third and three in the seventh to polish off the 9-2 win.

Senior Jim Conroy (5-0) went the distance for the Illini, allowing only two runs on six hits.

In the nightcap, Illinois scored two in the first and two more in the second before the Spartans started to battle back. Michigan State scored three runs in the third and two more in the fourth, knocking out Illini junior starter Matt Whitmore while pulling ahead 5-4.

Jones replaced Whitmore with sophomore left-hander Aaron Saving, who closed out the fourth without further damage.

Still down 5-4 in the sixth, the Illini began to rally. With runners on the corners and two outs, Bensko singled up the middle to tie the game. Rohde then singled to left to push the Illini back in front, 6-5.

But the Spartans wouldn’t go down easily. After allowing a leadoff single in the seventh, Saving was replaced by sophomore closer Jake Toohey. Toohey quickly gave up back-to-back one-out hits, loading the bases, before retiring the final two batters on balls hit to third, preserving the win.

“With wins like we had today, our confidence is sky-high,” Jones said afterwards. “Right now, our guys have an attitude that they can win every game.”

But Michigan State finally got a victory in the series in the finale, winning 11-9 in a slugfest. Up 8-5 in the sixth, the Illini bullpen started to unravel and the Spartans took advantage, scoring six runs over the final three innings to get the victory. Defense also played a part, as Illinois committed four errors leading to four unearned runs.

Outfielders Trevor Huisinga and Drew Davidson led the Illini with three hits each, and scored five of their nine runs. Bensko finished 0-5, ending his 12-game hitting streak.

The Illini will host Bradley on Tuesday and Robert Morris on Wednesday in a pair of non-conference games at 6:05 p.m. at Illinois Field, before preseason Big Ten favorite Michigan comes to town for a four-game series this weekend.