Baseball defeats Robert Morris

Online Poster

By Lucas Deal

Sophomore designated hitter Mike Rohde homered twice and doubled, and senior first baseman Dusty Bensko reached base four times as Illinois crushed the Robert Morris Eagles 16-3 Wednesday night at Illinois Field.

Sophomore Brandon Murphy started for the Illini and lasted four innings, allowing only two runs on five hits. Four other pitchers also worked out of the bullpen for the Illini, who improved to 18-8-1 on the season.

Illini head coach Itch Jones was happy with his team’s performance, expecting a big win against Illinois’ only non-Division I opponent.

“It should have been a game where we scored some runs, and its good to see players hit well,” Jones said.

With one out in the first, senior outfielder Ryan Rogowski tripledand fellow senior outfielder Drew Davidson walked. After several pickoff attempts, Davidson was finally caught stealing, but in the process Rogowski scored, giving Illinois a 1-0 lead.

In the third, Robert Morris scored two runs on four hits to take a 2-1 lead.

But the lead was short lived, as the Illini came back with five runs in the bottom of the fourth to take a 6-2 lead.

Robert Morris scored again in the top of the fifth to cut the score to 6-3, but after that it was all Illinois.

The Illini scored two runs in the fifth on Rohde’s first homer, added seven runs on six hits in the sixth and scored one more run in the eighth on Rohde’s second homer.

“Rohde did a good job; he’s worked hard on his swing,” Jones said. “I think at times this year he gets kind of frustrated because I stay on him all the time, but he’s improving.”

All nine starters reached base safely for the Illini, who had 17 hits. Rohde’s three hits led the Illini, while Rogowski, Bensko, senior shortstop Toby Gardenhire and junior outfielder Trevor Huisinga all had two hits.

Centerfielder Alex Boerema led Robert Morris with three hits.

Junior Joel Barickman (2-3) got the win for the Illini in relief, going two innings and allowing only one run. John Schenk took the loss for the Eagles.

The Illini host Michigan Friday at 6:05 p.m. at Illinois Field. The Wolverines are 18-10 overall, but only 1-7 in the Big Ten.

“But you can’t be deceived by Michigan’s record, they just got off to a slow start,” Jones said. “We just hope we’re not the team they suddenly turn everything around on.”