Column: Draft duel

Finally, the NFL is back! It may not beat the action of a playoff game, but somehow die-hard football fans plop down on the couch every year for a combined 14 hours to watch the commissioner walk back and forth and conduct a roll call of yesterday’s college stars, and watch highlight reels of players from schools we didn’t even know exist. This season, who will be wearing what uniform is impossible to predict, but we’re going to try. Note to reader: this is what we would do if we were general managers and we guarantee it will not turn out the way we predict.

It’s no secret that there is no clear-cut choice at the top of the draft. The top three teams – San Francisco, Miami and Cleveland – all have too many holes to fill to count on one pick, so the safe choice here would be to deal down. The difficulty with this theory is that not many teams are looking to move up, but two teams, Tampa Bay and Minnesota, have expressed interest in moving up. Acquiring picks and selecting one of the two most dynamic players available – Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson or Auburn’s Cadillac Williams – would be ideal.

For example, here’s a dream scenario for the Dolphins, whose new head coach Nick Saban is lusting to trade down. They deal the No. 2 pick and a third-rounder to Minnesota for the No. 7, No. 18 and a second-round pick, so the Vikings can stop drooling over Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards and add him to the roster. With the additional picks, the Dolphins take Johnson or Williams, the linebacker from Texas, and prey on the depth at whatever position they don’t pick first with their acquired selections and draft a developmental quarterback later on.

This is one point I’m really torn on. They need a young playmaker to bring into the mix and as much as I like the two receivers at the head of the class – USC’s Mike Williams and Edwards – I think a running back would be the right choice. It’s not because Williams’ lack of speed makes him similar to the newly acquired Muhsin Muhammad or that selecting another Michigan receiver, Edwards, would cause general manager Jerry Angelo to be tarred and feathered after the David Terrell fiasco. The running backs at the top of this draft are just that good.

New offensive coordinator Ron Turner (that sounds weird) likes to utilize two different styles of runners, and with slasher Thomas Jones in the mix it’s time for a banger. Auburn’s Ronnie Brown would be the ideal pick for the Bears because he played tailback and fullback effectively in college, tested well at the Combine and has little tread on the tires as he played second fiddle to teammate Cadillac Williams. But, he will most likely be gone at No. 4. Texas’ Cedric Benson, a four-year 1,000-yard rusher, seems like the logical choice. Angelo loves him and his up-the-middle style will complement Jones perfectly. A wide receiver such as UAB’s Roddy White, Indiana’s Courtney Roby or West Virginia’s Chris Henry could quench their thirst for a deep threat in Round Two.

In my honest opinion, I would still take Utah’s Alex Smith ahead of the USC signal caller. Right now, I guarantee the entire reading population that knows college football is shaking their head, but let me explain. The presence of the most talented offensive weapons in America and offensive mastermind Norm Chow, before his hiring by the Tennessee Titans, enhanced Leinart’s ability. What will happen if the talent isn’t there eventually? It will probably send him running for his life. And judging by his lack of mobility that won’t get him far. I have other question marks, but I’m limited, so if you want them I can e-mail you the list.

Alex Smith has everything you want in a quarterback. He’s smart, he’s battle-tested and he’s a true leader that was looked up to by teammates and is being praised by NFL executives. Those are the qualities you look for in a quarterback. Sure he doesn’t have a rocket arm. Look where Jeff George’s cannon got him. Sure he played in a lesser conference. So he played in an unconventional offense predicated on the use of the shotgun. Last year’s rookie sensation Ben Roethlisberger did both of those things. None of this will matter eventually and Smith will be leading, most likely the 49’s, back to prominence.

-Jeff Feyerer

Because the draft is so open, what move is the safe bet for one of the teams at the top?

In most years, there is a pretty clear-cut consensus at this time as to who will be the first pick. Last year, everyone knew Ole Miss’ Eli Manning would be the chosen one. The year before that, it was USC’s Carson Palmer. The year before that, Fresno State’s David Carr. In 2001, Virginia Tech’s Michael Vick was a no-brainer.

Based on the 49ers’ horrific 2004 season, choosing a quarterback is a must, considering the fact that their top-two current QB’s are Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey.

Which means the 49ers should draft Utah’s Alex Smith, who seems like the safest pick.

The Dolphins picking at No. 2 are in the same boat, in dire need of a quarterback as well, and they should choose Cal’s Aaron Rodgers. Their dynamic duo of Jay Fiedler and A.J. Feeley is almost as pathetic as the 49ers. Almost.

With the fourth pick, the Chicago Bears can look a number of ways since they have a wide assortment of needs, but in my opinion their decision should only be between two players.

I don’t care how talented Rex Grossman is, without a stud wide receiver he’ll only be average. Muhsin Muhammad’s numbers can be deceiving – he is not that stud WR that will make Rex great. The Bears will probably never have a better opportunity to get a star wideout as they do now, in choosing between Michigan’s Braylon Edwards and USC’s Mike Williams.

This decision is win-win and both Edwards and Williams will be stars in the league for many years. They have the prototypical stud receiver’s skills and bodies, without the prototypical stud receiver’s ego.

Yes, Edwards is from Michigan which means he could end up being another bust (see David Terrell), but Braylon is more talented has a much better attitude.

However, the Bears should take Williams and his sob story. You kind of just have to love this guy, with the NCAA screwing him over with no eligibility left. But, instead of him pulling a Clarett and bashing the NCAA, he worked his butt off and was a regular at USC practices.

With his dedication and work ethic to the game, plus super freak frame and speed, he can be the next great receiver. And seriously, that one-handed Spider-Man grab he made in his last season at USC has to make any GM sold on him.

It really must stink to be a member of the 49ers organization right now. It seems like nothing can go right for them. USC’s Matt Leinart was supposed to skip his senior season to play in the NFL. He was supposed to be the quarterback that the 49ers have been lacking since Steve Young retired.

But with Leinart putting the money and logic by today’s standards aside, the 49ers woes continue. Leinart (3,322 yards, 65.3 completion percentage, 33 touchdowns last season) would have been the easy choice at No. 1 and hands-down the best quarterback in the Draft. Since replacing Palmer at USC, he’s been nothing short of spectacular, dominating opponents. Torching Oklahoma’s fearsome defense in the Orange Bowl for 322 yards, 5 TDs and zero interceptions should have quieted any critics not sold on how good he actually is playing in the weak Pac-10.

There’s no doubt that Smith, Auburn’s Jason Campbell and Rodgers all have the potential to be stars in the NFL, but none of them compare with the ability and game-management skills that Leinart possesses. Despite the fact that all three QB’s beat out Leinart in a couple of statistical categories, Leinart has two more National Championships and one more Heisman Trophy than the three of them combined.

San Francisco, you’re on the clock.

-Jon Gluskin