Women have solid showing in Ann Arbor tournament

By Christopher Cook

The Fighting Illini women’s golf team placed ninth in this weekend’s Big Ten Tournament in Ann Arbor, Mich. Ohio State won the tournament with a total score of 900, 81 strokes ahead of the Illini.

The tournament was plagued by bad weather with Sunday’s fourth and final round being cancelled due to snow on the course, leaving the round three standings as the final score. Conditions were also difficult on Friday and Saturday with snow flurries, temperatures in the 30s and wind as strong as 35 mph.

“The weather was terrible at times, I broke two umbrellas,” said senior Lyndsey Milligan. “I was happy just to come out of it alive.”

Both Milligan and freshman Kristine Cook were moderately satisfied with the result.

“I could have played better, but it wasn’t bad under the circumstances,” Cook said.

Illini head coach Paula Smith liked the way her team played.

“Everybody improved and learned something,” Smith said. “I’m proud of the team for the way they handled the adversity.”

Milligan agreed.

“We stayed positive and took one shot at a time,” Milligan said. “I think that says a lot about the team.”

The Illini used good, consistent golf to stay in the running with all six players scoring within 13 strokes of each other.

Smith was especially proud of the solid team play.

“Everybody contributed,” she said. “If our top players had a bad round, someone else would step up.”

Junior Megan Godfrey led the way with a total score of 245, 29 over par, while Cook scored 248 and Milligan 250. Sophomore Meghan Naik and freshmen Seul Ki Park and Casey Burden shot 251, 256 and 258, respectively.

Smith also pointed out that although the team placed ninth, they weren’t far away from a higher place in the standings.

“Not a whole lot of strokes separated us from a higher finish,” she said. “Last year we tied for ninth, but we weren’t close to the teams ahead of us.”

Only two strokes separated the Illini from number eight Wisconsin.

Nevertheless, the Illini did not qualify for the NCAA Regional Championships, making this the final tournament of the season.

Milligan, who was nominated for the sportsmanship award, was sad that her golf career at Illinois came to a close.

“The team always got along and the girls on the team became my best friends,” she said. “I’m honored that my coaches and teammates would think of nominating me.”

Cook was full of praise for her teammate and was happy to see her get the nomination.

“Lyndsey is an awesome person and a great teammate,” Cook said. “She was always positive no matter the circumstances.”

Smith was on the same page.

“As a senior she was a great model for the other players,” Smith said. “She was always willing to extend a helping hand.”