Soccer set to open in Milwaukee

By Majesh Abraham

Last year’s Elite Eight appearance, the preseason hype and all the expectations won’t mean a thing once the first whistle blows in the Illini’s regular season opener at the Milwaukee Cup.

The No. 13 Illini will be heavy favorites when they take on Marquette on Friday and Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Sunday.

The Illini are trying to follow up on a successful 16-6-2 season, which included a trip to the Elite Eight and No. 12-ranking in the final NSCAA poll.

“This program is getting used to having those expectations, such as being the ranked team and the favored opponent,” said head coach Janet Rayfield. “You can deal with that two ways, you can look at it as pressure or say this is where we want to be.”

The team is still ironing out the details of its lineup after losing All-American forward Tara Hurless and All-American goalie Leisha Alcia from last year’s team.

“We’re still looking at the combinations that will work,” Rayfield said. “The best thing about our team is its depth. You’ll see us play 16 to 18 players most of the games during the season. Even those who are not starting will make huge contributions.”

The team’s strength will be its defense as it returns three of the four defenders from last year, including seniors Christen Karniski and tri-captain Kelly Campbell and All-Big Ten freshmen team member Mary Therese McDonnell.

“My expectation for the team is to come out strong,” Campbell said. “We can’t come out lightly, it’s not the preseason anymore. We have to treat these games like it’s a Big Ten game or an NCAA final.”

Overall, the team returns 17 members from last year’s team, and welcomes five new freshman, including three-time Wisconsin State Player of the Year Marti Desjarlais, and Under-19 Canadian National Team member Emily Zurrer.

“I am really excited, and a little nervous at the same time, because it’s a higher level and a lot more pressure,” Desjarlais said. “There is pressure to perform, but I’m just going to go out there and play my game, and try not to think about the things around me.”

While the Illini women are ranked No. 4 in the preseason Soccer Buzz Great Lakes Regional Rankings, Marquette is ranked No. 7 and returns 10 starters from last year’s squad. Wisconsin-Milwaukee is ranked 10th, are the defending Horizon League Champions, and once again picked to win their conference title in the preseason coaches poll.

Even though the Illini are ranked higher, Coach Rayfield doesn’t expect the competition to lay down for the Illini.

“There is no opponent in Division I. that you can overlook,” Rayfield said. “Every game in Division I. is important and any game during the season can be the one that makes or breaks what happens in postseason play. Marquette and Wisconsin-Milwaukee are going to be organized teams, especially behind the goal, and it’s going to be a challenge to bring them down.”

The importance of these games is not lost on the players, especially ones that open the season.

“It’s really important to get off to a good start just for our confidence,” Desjarlais said. “To come out with two wins would be great and a huge confidence boost.”