Column: Can’t we all just get along?

By Josh George

Let’s take a minute to explore the world of the coach-player relationship. The coach-player relationship is riddled with diversity and littered with good stories. I mean there’s been everything from Bobby Knight throwing chairs and choking players to Latrell Sprewell throwing tantrums and choking coaches. In sports today, what are the rules governing the coach-athlete relationship?

Legendary basketball coach Red Auerbach had two rules for the Celtics. The first rule was there were no rules. Everyone was treated with respect and athletes were dealt with differently depending on the situation. The second rule was athletes were not allowed to eat pancakes on game day.

Professional entertainer, I mean, football player Terrell Owens must have forgotten Andy Reid’s rules when he decided to drop a few “f-bombs” into an argument with his conservative, Mormon coach. Andy Reid then acted with the authority a lot of pro coaches are hesitant to use by sending T.O. home.

San Antonio Spurs coach Greg Popovich knows he would rather not have to deal with the headaches a TO-like star carries by building a team with players, even stars, with humility and a team-oriented work ethic.

Beyond that, there are some coach-player situations I still cannot come close to understanding.

How could Sean Taylor, fresh off his rookie season, refuse to communicate at all with Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs for a majority of the off-season? I mean the man was arrested for beating a guy with a gun and still won’t return his coach’s phone calls. Then he returns to Washington and acts like everything is okay.

How could Kobe Bryant, one of the most talented players in basketball, continue to moan and complain about playing in the system that Phil Jackson, one of the most winningest coaches in basketball history, devised for the Lakers. After winning three championships playing a certain way, you should not start complaining. The modified triangle has yet to lose its shape.

Finally, how come Andy Roddick fired Brad Gilbert in 2004? Sure, Roddick fell to No. 2 in the world behind Roger Federer, but under Gilbert, he had won 82 percent of the time, won his only Grand Slam tournamen, and finished the ’03 season ranked No. 1 in the world. Since then, Roddick has been dominated not only by Federer, but by Gilles Muller in round one of the U.S. Open.

I recently tried my hand at dealing with coaches. My basketball coach wanted us to push ramps for preseason training (wheelchair basketball’s version of running bleachers, although in my opinion, not nearly as effective.) I argued with him and suggested a number of other drills that would be more beneficial to the team, while at the same time being more enjoyable.

I made my argument and was proud of myself. I thought I put together a good case and felt pretty confident when my coach told me he would consider it.

Then, the next day I asked my coach if he had decided what we were going to do.

“I’ve thought about it,” he said. “I’m thinking… suicides.”

It goes to show, you can’t win ’em all. Adieu.

Josh George is a senior in communications. He can be reached at [email protected].