Illini look to challenge

By Frank Vanderwall

A new school year, a new season and a new start are in store for the young Illinois men’s golf team.

The 12-man roster consisting of just one senior has the Illini in position to compete in the Big Ten this year, and in the future.

“After the way we finished out last year, we are hungry and feel like we have something to prove,” said Mike Small, who is returning for his sixth season as head coach.

The Illini ended last season with a disappointing finish at the Big Ten Championships, taking 11th place. The finish was disappointing because of the team’s excellent play leading up to the tournament.

“It felt like we were really coming together going into the Big Ten Championship,” said junior Kyle Hosick. “We finished second and third in our previous two tournaments, and then we just didn’t play well at the Big Ten.”

Despite the poor finish, Small thought it was a positive season, especially for the younger guys.

“It was one bad match, not a bad season,” said Small.

Prior to last season’s poor finish, the Illini had taken runner-up in the Big Ten Championship three consecutive seasons, securing a reputation as an annual competitor for the title.

According to Small, they expect to give Big Ten favorites Minnesota, Northwestern, Michigan State and Purdue a run for their money this season.

Helping them are four new golfers, including three freshmen and a sophomore transfer student. Redshirt freshman Kyle Hosick joins the three newcomers as well.

Junior Patrick Nagle is expected to post some very low scores and is known as one of the top golfers in the entire conference.

“Nagle’s back and he’s really going to help this team,” said Hosick. “He’s arguably the best golfer in the Big Ten.”

The Illini are scheduled to play home matches at Stone Creek Golf Course in Urbana, where the team is beginning to practice in preparation for the season.

“I expect all 12 guys on the roster to compete for a starting position,” Small said.

The Illini golfers have to complete a “pre-qualifying” feat in order to participate in the actual qualifying rounds.

According to Hosick, each player must break 70 from all four levels of tees (women’s, men’s, amateur and championship) at Stone Creek in order to be considered for a starting position on the team.

Those who are eligible by Sept. 5, the first day of qualifying, will play four rounds of golf and the five lowest total scorers are named the starters for the team’s first match in Toledo, Ohio on Sept.19.