Column: Spring Br-r-reak!

By Josh George

“Spring Br-r-r-reak!”

It’s a phrase that’s quickly becoming the USA national wheelchair basketball team’s rally cry.

“Spring Br-r-r-reak!”

When the USA team hears it shouted across the airport by head coach Steve Wilson, they know that the time of their lives is about to begin.

“Spring Br-r-r-reak!”

It’s a phrase that means the USA team has been let loose on the world. Not to raid Mexican bars and get wasted, but to go wherever the competition happens to be that week, and wreak havoc on the basketball court. It represents all the excitement we feel on the brink of an amazing trip, and hopefully, an amazing competition. It means practice is finally over, and it’s time to see all of our hard work pay off. To our team it means, “I sure as hell can’t wait to play with you guys.”

“Spring Br-r-r-reak!”

It was introduced last summer to the Under-23 USA national wheelchair basketball team during the Jr. World Championships in Birmingham, England. It was introduced by Wilson, then an assistant coach, and it saw the team through to a gold medal run in classic fashion. The U.S. won by an average margin of victory of 38.5 points.

“Spring Br-r-r-reak!”

It’s what the USA national wheelchair basketball team heard hollered across the international terminal of Los Angeles International Airport on Monday afternoon. The team was embarking on a trip to Kitakyushu, Japan to play in an annual invitational tournament, the Kitakyushu Champions’ Cup. A tournament that is vital to the preparation of the USA national team for World Championship qualification in December.

As one of the newest members of the USA national team, I am fortunate enough to be swept up in the excitement, and am currently sitting on the other side of the world.

“Spring Br-r-r-reak!”

To us it means that we’re in for brand new experiences. Two days ago (Wednesday in Japan), our team was split in two, with each half going to a local elementary school to teach the children about wheelchair basketball. I can’t say I ever imagined I’d be doing that.

Our hosts were more than gracious, and despite the obvious language barrier, the children were amused by anything we did. After a demonstration in the sandy, heat-soaked gym, one of my teammates had the kids in hysterics, as he taught them American handshakes. A few of the kids had me in hysterics as they timidly touched the biceps and triceps in my left arm, amazed at the muscles.

“Spring Br-r-r-reak!”

It means it’s time to represent. Not by how much alcohol we can consume without puking, but by representing the team and our country. It’s time to get used to and be proud of wearing the same red, white and blue shirt that our teammates are donning. We understand we can show the world that all Americans aren’t the selfish, arrogant, war mongers that many stereotypes make us out to be.

“Spring Br-r-r-reak!”

It started as a bunch of silliness. A phrase shouted by an excited coach, since it’s a phrase that is traditionally connected with exciting times. What it’s become is an exclamation of understanding, an exclamation that still means that exciting times are here. An exclamation that means we’re here to win, we’re here to grow, we’re here to have the time of our lives.

Josh George is a senior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected].