Column: Are you tired?

By Ian Gold

I think somewhere along the line the Angels won a World Series; I’m almost positive the Marlins got their rings. But I’m not sure; somewhere in between the Yankees and Red Sox nothing really seemed to matter.

Is it getting repetitive?

I am a Yankees fan and will never lose interest in the Red Sox demise, but it’s anti-climatic if the loser of the Series gets rematch, after rematch, after rematch.

Aaron Boone or David Ortiz, the heroes keep getting laid out in front of us, and I have a suspicion that people might stop caring.

It just seems inevitable for some reason, or for whatever twist of fate, the baseball community on a whole is directed at the Northeast. Whether you attribute that to a strong East coast media bias or the outrageous payroll competitions between New York and Boston, one thing is for sure, it’s possible that we are looking at another Yanks-Sox ALCS.

I bet that if you follow sports, or me enough to read this column, that you can ramble off the names of more Yanks than necessary.

I bet you can name more of those lumberjacking Red Sox than necessary too.

I am a huge fan of baseball, but if I have no interest in the teams playing I am not going to watch. Through hammering away at the biggest rivalry in sports, I think the media had convinced everyone that they should care. New England and New York for almost 100 years has known about this phenomenon and tuned in accordingly.

Whether it was Fox or ESPN that realized the cash cow they had wandered to, they overdid the rivalry.

It must have seemed like every time you wanted to watch baseball you got a Yankees vs. Red Sox game.

The first couple times it was cool, a break from watching the Padres, but after years and years of watching nearly 20 regular season games and then the inevitable seven game ALCS, have you had enough?

Even for me it seems like the rivalry doesn’t have the same meaning.

The rest of the country was told about my little secret.

I feel like my favorite baseball occasion is being Hallmarked. This is not a cutesy rivalry, these teams are not supposed to like each other, and these towns don’t like each other. But how many times can you get in a fist fight with the same person before you hurry up the brawl so dinner doesn’t get cold?

You have to experience some pain every now and then to truly appreciate the joy.

The Red Sox finally winning isn’t the culprit for the angst I’m feeling.

How bad do you think Jeter felt watching the Sox celebrate the World Series?

Imagine being No. 2 in the locker room knowing that in the Yankee Stadium visitor locker room, they were popping corks.

We all wanted to see how the Yankees would react to what happened last season.

After seeing all of this year’s regular season games and hearing about the rivalry on television, on the radio, on the Internet, and at the water-cooler, we know.

They reacted like a professional team, thank you very much.

Now the question is, are you rooting for the greatest rivalry in sports? Does that spark your interest? Are you tired?

It’s likely that the White Sox or Angels will aid those of you that answered yes to any of my questions.

But shed a tear that somebody has ruined lobster dinner and roses.