More than Ten Questions with Derek Walker

By Amber Greviskes

Derek Walker is a 6-foot-4 defensive lineman for the Illinois football team. The redshirt freshman has started every game this season and took time after practice Monday to talk to The Daily Illini about his favorite movies, music and break dancing ability.

Q: Why did you choose to come to school at Illinois and be an Illini?

A: Basically, when I came on my visits I went to different schools, but when I came to Illinois, it wasn’t my first choice, I’ll be honest, but it felt like home when I was here. They treated me like I was at home. They had a good program. They had just won the Big Ten in 2001 and it did seem like the program was going up and it felt more like a home scenario to me. I felt more comfortable here than at the other schools that I went to.

Q: What other schools did you look at?

A: Originally it was Michigan. There or Michigan State, but I don’t know what happened. Illinois just stayed with me more than the other schools that were there. Illinois was more persistent. They would come and see me and call all the time. It was a good feeling, so I decided to come here.

Q: Do you have any pre-game rituals?

A: Not really, I don’t really do anything crazy. I just picture myself doing what I’m supposed to do and making all the calls that are supposed to be made. I don’t listen to music anymore like I used to. I just visualize a lot. Some people throw up before the game, I don’t do that. I just focus on everything I need to do.

Q: What do you do when you have to line up against a really good athlete from another team?

A: I never really get intimidated. I take everything as a challenge. When I’m going against a good player, I take that as a challenge, “OK, he’s good, so now I have to play even better and be better than him.” If he’s coming with it than I have to come with it and play at the level he’s at. I’m a competitor. I’m going to play no matter what. You can’t be intimidated like that.

Q: Which guy on the team is the funniest?

A: That’s a tough question. We have a lot of the guys on the team that are funny. J.D. is funny. Mo-V is funny. X is weird. Chris Norwell is kind of a jokester, too. Out of the d-line, I’d say Chris because I’m around him more than anyone. I’d say Chris.

Q: What does he do that is funny?

A: He’s just funny when he talks. When we’re on the field, he tries to calm us down with jokes and stuff so that we’re not so tense. I can’t really say exactly what he does because it’s not appropriate.

Q: Who has the best nickname on the team?

A: Juice – Kevin Mitchell because he looks like Beetlejuice. We call David Lenquist “Lenny.” I don’t know how we got Lenny, but we just started calling him Lenny. We call Gus Norris “Buckshot.”

Q: Which guy on the team is your best friend?

A: My best friend, my best friend is probably Xavier and David Lenquist because I’m always over at their house and hang out with them on the weekends. I’d say those two guys are the ones I’m closest too.

Q: I hear you have a reputation for being a great break dancer, is that true?

A: A great break dancer? I’m not a great break dancer. I have some moves. I had some moves in middle school when we were all into that stuff. We had break dance competitions in gym class sometimes. I’m not that good though, and playing football, I can’t be doing those things because I could get hurt. I’m not great, I’m alright.

Q: What do you do in your free time?

A: Actually, right now I just try to get as much rest as possible. I just relax. I hang out with X. I’m trying to get back in the habit of drawing, lately. I’ve been out of it for a couple months. Football takes up a lot of time, so I’m getting back into that. Mostly, though, just relaxing and concentrate on football.

Q: What is your favorite Jay-Z song?

A: I don’t know if I have a favorite Jay-Z song, “Blueprint” was my favorite album. I like almost every song on there like “H To The Izzo” and “Girls, Girls, Girls.” I don’t have a favorite Jay-Z song. I just like Jay-Z. Period.

Q: What is your favorite movie?

A: I like all the “Matrix” movies. I love “Gladiator.” “Girls Next Door” was a good movie. Any type of comedies I like too.

Q: How did you first get interested in graphic design?

A: I’ve been in art my whole life – it’s always something that I have wanted to do, either architecture or graphic design. I feel like I should do something with my abilities, and graphic design would be a good choice if I can do it.

Why do you think it’s fun?

A: I like to draw. I like to create things and have a good imagination sometimes. I read graphic design is like illustration and advertising and stuff like that, so it feels like a good career to get into