Sophomore tennis duo celebrates Vegas wins

By Amber Greviskes

Illinois sophomores Ruben Gonzales and Ryan Rowe are friends off the tennis courts – this weekend, they were doubles partners too.

On Sunday, when they lined up across the court from each other for their all-Illini singles Flight A final at the Rebel Fall Classic at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas, Nev., they were opponents.

On that day, Gonzales emerged the victor 6-7 (1), 6-1, 6-0; winning the first major title of his college career.

“It was a good weekend for both of them,” Illinois head coach Brad Dancer said. “The wins are something to build on and use it when they play next weekend.”

For both of the men, Gonzales said, it was a good effort to get to the finals, considering the fierce competition. Gonzales defeated Eastern Tennessee State’s Oscar Posada, the team’s No. 1 singles player 6-4, 7-6 in the semifinals.

Rowe defeated another Eastern Tennessee State athlete, Felix Insaurralde to advance to the finals.

Both Illini attribute their success to their increased aggressiveness. Gonzales also credits his highly aggressive play to helping him win the championship match.

During the finals, Gonzales’ mother and his older cousin were able to be on hand, which Gonzales said was beneficial to his victory.

“This win was definitely the first step on the road to a successful college career,” Gonzales said.

Still, both men said they learned a lot from the weekend, especially since Dancer was able to focus closely on their matches, instead of having to evaluate the way an entire team played.

“The biggest thing that I learned is that you always have a chance,” Rowe said. “You just have to go in there and keep fighting.”

Although Dancer was able to point out what the men were doing well throughout the tournament because he was watching their matches closely, he could also point out what they needed to improve on before the spring season begins in January.

Rowe and Gonzales will have to improve their doubles games if the duo would like to compete for the Illini as a team this spring. The men lost in the doubles quarterfinal to an Eastern Tennessee State duo.

“Their chemistry is good,” Dancer said. “Sometimes, it’s almost too good – I think I would have to feed them some nails to get them going.”

Although the doubles team did not do as well as Dancer would have liked, he said that he was excited about the weekend that he got to spend with the athletes and the improvements he has seen so far this year. He also said he is still seeing “mini-glimpses” of future success the men could have. He said Rowe’s serve is still improving and Gonzales’ backhand return is starting to become one of his most impressive weapons.

“That’s why these guys went out here – to get the experience and see how they have improved,” Dancer said.