Men come up short at club national tournament in Alabama

By Chris Cook

The season came to an end for the club soccer team on Nov. 18 when it was defeated 4-1 by Northern Texas in the Sweet 16 of the national tournament in Alabama.

After cruising to a title victory in the regional tournament a month ago and an undefeated regular season, Illinois came into the tournament riding high and played well in the first game – a 0-0 tie against North Carolina on Nov. 17.

In the early going, UNC dominated but failed to capitalize. Gradually, Illinois took over the game and created several good chances. But in a close game with strong defensive efforts from both sides, neither of the teams found the back of the net before the whistle.

“They were a very good team,” said player/coach Dan Malloy. “Our defense kept us in the game.”

Malloy and senior defender Kenny Guevara praised sophomore goalie Brian Summerville for playing a huge role in avoiding a loss against UNC.

“Brian was great,” Guevara said. “He came up with some huge saves.”

The second and final game of pool play against the University of California at Santa Barbara would not be as close.

Illinois dominated. In the first half, junior midfielder Tony Cook broke through on the side. As the defense collapsed on him, Cook found sophomore midfielder Jamal Gorham open in the middle for the first Illini goal of the tournament.

About 10 minutes later, Illinois doubled the lead. A long inbounds throw from junior forward Ahmed Yusuf was flicked in front of the keeper and ended with sophomore midfielder T.J. King at the far post for the easy goal.

Illinois played it easy in the second half and cruised to a 2-0 victory.

The win earned the team first place in the pool and set up the Sweet 16 matchup with Northern Texas, which had advanced with a win and a loss, outscoring their opponents 9-4.

“I was very optimistic before the game,” Malloy said. “They scored nine goals in pool play so obviously they’re a good offensive team, but our defense has been great all season long. You’d think they’d play into our hands.”

The team showed this attitude in the early going, dominating the game, but as they did against UNC, Illinois failed to exploit their chances.

“We’ve had this problem throughout the season,” Malloy said. “But in nationals you can’t blow chances because you only get a certain amount.”

Nearly 20 minutes into the game, Texas took the lead on what was its first chance.

A long clearance sailed over the heads of the Illinois defenders. A Texas forward was first to the ball and scored with a low shot.

Ten minutes later, Texas added to its lead on a similar situation.

“They were able to get the counter attacks they needed,” senior midfielder Kyle Ledbetter said. “I don’t know if they planned on it, but they succeeded.”

Although the players deemed the halftime score unfair, the team came back strong in the second half and continued to pressure the opposing defense. Sixteen minutes before full time the hard work was finally rewarded.

Malloy found Ledbetter with a through ball to draw within a goal.

“Our eyes connected, and he made a great pass” Ledbetter said. “At that point I felt like we were in good shape to get another.”

However, Texas now brought its whole team back on defense. Illinois, in desperate need of a goal, responded by attacking with more and more players. This opened the door for another Texas counterattack goal.

Disheartened, Illinois lost its fire and Texas scored yet another goal right before the whistle.

The loss snapped Illinois’ unbeaten streak at 48 games.

“I wish we could have lost to a better team,” Guevara said. “We would have beaten them nine times out of ten.”

He pointed to the shots-on-goal margin which was 21-5 in Illinois’ favor.

Northern Texas lost in the next round to Texas A&M;, and Colorado went on to win the tournament title.

“Although it ended with disappointment, it was a successful season,” said Ledbetter, who played in his final game for the team. “It was so much fun, and I have a lot of great memories.”