VanMeter named all-Big Ten player

By Lucas Deal

Rachel VanMeter broke so many personal and school records this season, it’s hard to keep track of all of them. From single-match records to all-time highs, VanMeter tied or broke seven records during the 2005 season and moved into the top five in several other categories.

As a result, the Illinois senior outside hitter was rewarded for her stellar play on Tuesday by being named a unanimous pick to the 2005 All-Big Ten team, as voted on by the conference’s coaches. VanMeter was one of five unanimous picks to the team.

“It’s really nice to be recognized by the Big Ten coaches,” VanMeter said Thursday. “This is the first time I’ve made the (All-Big Ten) team and it’s something I’ll always be able to look back on, so I’m really proud of it.”

A Lexington, Ky. native, VanMeter broke Illinois’ career (4,462), season (1,786) and single-match (99) attack records this season, as well as the school’s single-season errors record. She also set career highs in single-season (672) and single-match (39) kills.

VanMeter now ranks fourth on Illinois’ all-time kills list with 1,662, only 99 behind school record holder and 1988 first team All-American Mary Eggers.

“I’ve always looked through the record books and seen the players from the past and wondering what kind of players they were,” VanMeter said. “Now to be one of them – I haven’t really thought about it. I’m sure when I pick up next year’s media guide it will sink in, but I haven’t thought about it yet.”

A two-time Big Ten Player of the Week selection, VanMeter finished the season fourth in the nation at 5.79 kills per game. She was the MVP of the Northern Illinois Tournament which the Illini won in September and was named to the UNLV all-tournament team that same month.

And as one of only two seniors on this year’s team, VanMeter carried much of the offensive load for the 16-15 Illini, recording 20 or more kills in 17 matches. For her career, VanMeter had 29 matches with over 20 kills, one more than Illinois’ single-season kills leader Erin Borske.

“We had a really tough season, and I think our stats as a team reflected how hard we played,” VanMeter said. “We had a lot of heart and the stats show that.”

Undefeated conference champion and No. 2-ranked Penn State landed five players on the All-Big Ten team, including unanimous Big Ten Player of the Year Sam Tortorello. Other Nittany Lions honored were Nicole Fawcett, Christa Harmotto, Melissa Walbridge and Kaleena Walters.

The remainder of the team was made up by Ohio State’s Marissa Main and Danielle Meyer, Minnesota’s Paula Gentil and Meredith Nelson, Wisconsin’s Taylor Reineke and Sheila Shaw and Purdue’s Renata Dargan.