Take it strong

By Ian Gold

I think I’ve figured it out, why everyone is enamored with Chester Frazier. Well, it’s actually a combination of things – very good defense, he is tough as a coffin nail and he has the ability to create.

All over the recruiting boards, people suggest that Illinois needs to recruit more players that can make something happen on their own, a la Luther Head or Deron Williams. Chester Frazier is as close as it’s going to get this year. But even he looks to pass first. Frazier has had some good finishes in the lane in the past few weeks, but it’s been one nice basket a game, at most.

Although Illinois was able to get its first road win of the season, the squad and its fans have lofty goals. Nitpicking a 17-2 team is strange, but it’s a team that doesn’t expect to lose much and has to look at issues like this.

The ability to get to the hoop is an important skill for a team to have; it allows baskets when the shots aren’t falling, gets players to the line and adds a dimension that will eventually lead to easy buckets for the bigs.

Illinois has gone through scoring draughts when the shots aren’t falling, especially on the road. Even Northwestern was able to go on a run that brought the blowout into the danger zone. If they were able to penetrate, they would at least put pressure on the defense and find ways to get free throws.

Dee Brown has been able to get to the line because of fast breaks and getting the ball when it’s obvious the team is going to foul in desperation. But besides for those instances, the inability for our guards to put pressure on the defense has kept our players off the foul line. Rich McBride has taken seven free throws this year, Jamar Smith, 18.

How can Illinois get past these rocky lulls? They have to learn to take it to the rack; and you don’t have to be Allen Iverson and break ankles to do it. With the amount of picks set in the motion offense, putting the ball on the floor and taking it inside should almost seem natural. Each of our guards has an attribute that should allow them to get by one man and force defensive problems, should the defender leave their man or surrender the lane. Frazier has shown that he is able to shake and shimmy his way into the lane, but every other guard is capable of doing the same.

Brown has superior speed and quickness, McBride is a very strong and well built guard and Smith has the threat of a quick outside shot. Although some guards have a natural ability to penetrate, it’s a mindset that’s keeping ours from being more effective.

Other players have also shown the ability to take it to the hole. James Augustine has shown that he can catch the ball from the top of the lane and bring it in and Brian Randle uses his long, athletic body to take it in strong. The guards are not alone in penetration, Augustine and Randle can be just as effective.

With two of the Big Ten’s basement teams coming to town in Minnesota and Purdue, Illinois has the perfect window to maybe try some new things in the comforts of Assembly Hall.

Ian Gold is a senior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected].