Column: For the record

By Ian Gold

How in the world did Wilt Chamberlain score 100 points in a game? This has always boggled my mind, a record I thought would never, ever, never get broken.

That was until Kobe Bryant went for 81 – including 55 in the second half.

Maybe the records we deem untouchable aren’t so out of reach?

On any given night most teams won’t get to 100 points, but Kobe without a doubt was threatening. If Wilt’s 100 point mark was in a dark alley, it would have given Kobe it’s wallet.

It’s fun to believe that the historic figures in sports were so good, their names will forever be etched next to the grandest records. The number 61 no longer means anything in baseball and Dan Marino’s invulnerable touchdown pass record belongs to Peyton Manning. Kobe looked like a man who had a shot at 100, so what “unbreakable” records will we see surpassed?

Wayne Gretzky’s 215 point season

The man is nicknamed “The Great One” for a reason, so many of his records seem to be made of diamond. In the last full NHL season the point leader had 94, so how is 215 in jeopardy? The NHL addressed its sales and interest problem by changing rules and opening up the ice to increase scoring. This year goals are coming by the bunch and the young talent in the league has more potential then any generation in recent memory.

Athletes with a shot: Ilya Kovalchuk, Daniel Alfredsson, Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin, Jason Spezza, Patrick Marleau.

Jerry Rice’s 22,895 receiving yards

“The Great One” would also apply to a player like Rice. Rice holds every notable receiving record. Arguing for Rice being the NFL’s greatest player ever is within reason, but assuming that this record is untouchable could be stubborn. NFL wide receivers have become bigger, faster and more elusive, while tackling has become a lost art. An extremely talented receiver with the luck to both stay healthy and have quarterback fortune could make a run at Rice.

Athletes with a shot: Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Marvin Harrison, Calvin Johnson.

Cal Ripken’s 2,632 consecutive games

I wasn’t happy when Ripken took the record from Lou Gherig, and I’m less happy to think this record will never be broken. The requirements – a very good player, who begins their career early and stays healthy. Although the game has changed and many players request days off, this unbreakable mark can be broken. For example, Yankee left fielder Hideki Matsui has played in 1,737 consecutive games. He is still a ways away, but his streak proves Ripken is not safe for eternity.

Athletes with a shot: see above requirements.

These previous records are the golden mile-markers I envision hiding behind glass. But then again, they are daunting in their own right. Which few are untouchable?

John Wooden’s 88-straight wins

Bruce Weber came close with 29.

Cy Young’s 511 wins

If a pitcher averaged 25 wins a year over a 20 year career, he would need 11 more.

Ty Cobb’s career batting average of .366

Let’s be serious here, the most consistent hitters may bat that once in a lifetime.

And for the record, Wilt Chamberlain’s other more promiscuous record may be most impressive.

Ian Gold is a senior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected].