Men’s track set to compete with 75 teams

By Jonathan Leonard

This weekend the men’s track and field team hopes to prove why it’s currently ranked 24th in the nation when it travels to Ames, Iowa to compete in the Iowa State Classic Friday and Saturday. The team is coming off a win against Alabama two weeks ago at the Carle/Health Alliance Classic at the Illinois Armory and competitions in New York and South Bend last week.

Illinois will compete alongside 75 men’s and women’s track teams at the ISU Classic. The Classic includes teams from the Big 12 Conference, several Big Ten teams, as well as UCLA, Alabama, Clemson, Mississippi and Kentucky.

“This national ranking can help us continue the momentum of the past couple weeks,” head coach Wayne Angel said. “The recognition is great. It can work as a great motivating factor as we try to be the best. This ranking is just another indicator that the results of the team’s hard work are showing.”

Senior sprinter Abe Jones considered the ranking to be yet another step in Illinois’ drive to be the best. Jones currently holds a No. 1 ranking in the 500-meter run and is ranked No. 12 in the nation in the 400-meter. He also currently leads the world with the fastest 600-meter time this year of 1:17.00

“Two years ago we started off as a strong team,” Jones said. “We returned everyone, and we have a lot of confidence this year; and I have a lot of confidence in my own ability this year too.”

The 4X400 meter relay team of Jones, junior Nathan Vadeboncoeur and seniors Tramell Smith and Adrian Walker is currently the second ranked relay in the nation behind LSU.

“It is a very attainable goal for us to make nationals in the 4X400,” Walker said.

Smith had the same thoughts.

“I’ve been here for four years and this is real exciting,” Smith said. “Hopefully, we can be ranked in the top 10 as a team by the end of the season.”

Sophomore long-jumper Nick Brown also earned a national ranking in the long jump after last weekend’s performance. Brown, currently ranked eighth in the nation, saw the team ranking as a motivator going into the competition at Iowa.

“Sometimes track in the Big Ten gets overlooked,” Brown said. “It’s good to get recognized and that adds to the self gratitude that your hard work is paying off.”