O-H-I-O too tough

By Ian Gold

Illinois has not lost a lot of games in the Bruce Weber era. I think that’s why it’s so weird to watch a game like the one played Sunday afternoon, a 69-53 loss at Ohio State. This loss was different, though, separate from all the others in recent memory; this was the first time the Illini felt outclassed.

I don’t think there is much to obsess about. The coaching staff will watch the tape and see where to get better and the fans will sort out their “if only’s.” But besides that I think you can fold your cards and just say the better team won. The first time I can admit that without reservation.

“They’re at a high level, they’re good and there is no doubt about it,” head coach Bruce Weber said, time and time again. Usually it’s tough to read a losing coach, and with Illinois’ recent lack of success, I’ve had plenty of practice. The losing coach more often than not pins the loss on his team’s execution, maybe preparation and of course talks about the upcoming practice. Bruce did all those things, but continued to repeat, “They’re good.” The last time with a frustrated, “They outplayed us, they outfought us.”

Bruce, as usual, is absolutely correct, the Buckeyes are very good. They have a veteran team that features stars in the backcourt and the frontcourt, Je’Kel Foster and Terrance Dials. They have their glue guy, J.J. Sullinger and their ice water Matt Sylvester (all seniors). They also have this other guy, Jamar Butler; he put up 22 and four.

All together, Ohio State is good. The Big Ten has plenty of teams log-jammed in the middle and it appears the Buckeyes are ready to pull away. Iowa is in front and has the easiest road ahead, but Ohio State is the most dangerous team.

Leaving Iowa I was grossed out; that’s the worst I’ve ever seen an Illinois team play. Leaving Ohio State, I feel that all is right with the world. This Buckeye team is a complete squad and it showed from the opening tipoff; they dictated the pace of the game and inflicted their will.

Illinois does not have the benefit of a return trip to Champaign from the Scarlet and Gray, but I don’t know how much good that would do for the Illini. Ohio State has it rolling, and after years of violation disadvantages and probations, this team is hungry and primed. This is not to put down Illinois, which is still a good team and the ranking will still show it on Monday. But as of now, the Buckeyes are the better team.

And this is why: they not only have talent but are experienced. They have played together for years and, individually, their potential is tapped. In a different situation are the Illini, who besides for the two cornerstones of Dee and James, go to battle with virtually an entirely new team. Experience-wise it hurts, you can see the way Dials rolls off screens, how instinctually Sylvester gets him the ball and then rotates, while Foster sets himself up for the open three and Sullinger positions himself for the put-back. They’re good.

At this point the fans that refuse to not climb down from their throne atop the nation will pitch other excuses. Ohio State shot the lights out? They always do. Illinois was playing a road game in the Big Ten – we’re supposed to lose? Last year, it was never a problem. I’m sorry if I look like the enemy, I don’t want to burst bubbles. But as of now, Ohio State is very good; Weber agrees.

Once again Illinois goes back to the slogan etched onto the season’s plaque, “Will the Illini be special or good?” A score of 69-53 isn’t special, but it certainly leaves room for growth.

Ian Gold is a senior in communications. He can be reached at [email protected].