Illini face No. 23 Badgers in seniors’ last home meet

By Majesh Abraham

For seven men, including five starters, this Sunday will be the last time they suit up for the Illini at Huff Hall. Sunday is senior night for the Illini as they take on the No. 23 Wisconsin Badgers.

“Right now, I’m looking at it as just a regular meet,” said senior All-American Pete Friedl. “It is the last home meet, but I’ll probably think more about that afterwards.”

The Illini will honor seniors Kyle Ott (125 lbs), Cal Ferry (149 lbs), Alex Tirapelle (157 lbs), Pete Friedl (184 lbs), Tyrone Byrd (197 lbs), Matt Fletcher (Hwt), and Matt Weight (Hwt).

When they started their collegiate careers, the Illini wrestling program was on the cusp of greatness. Two Big Ten Championships, three NCAA final appearances, and a Big Ten tournament title later, the team has established itself as one of the premier college wrestling programs in the country.

“Adam Tirapelle – the career leader in wins for the Illini – told us our freshman year that he didn’t expect his record to stand with the team that we were going to put out in the coming years,” Friedl said. “He was right, and that is going to hold true for the next couple of years. We were kind of that one class that set the bar high, but I expect the bar to be set higher and higher over the next ten years.”

The seniors have a combined record of 417-125 over the last four years, and Byrd, Friedl, Tirapelle, and Ott will all finish in the top 25 in wins for the Illini. It’s fitting that Adam’s brother, All-American Alex Tirapelle is on pace to break the career wins record, as he is only 8 wins shy of his brother’s record with 119. Friedl, another All-American, is seven behind Tirapelle and is on pace to finish in the Top 5.

Tirapelle, currently No. 1 at 157 pounds has earned two straight Big Ten championships, was an NCAA finalist in 2003, and was named Big Ten Wrestler of the Year in 2004 after an undefeated regular season. Friedl, No. 6 at 184 lbs, like Tirapelle is a two-time All-American and earned a Big Ten title in 2005. Ott, No. 6 at 125 pounds, is also a two-time All-American and two time NCAA finalist.

Byrd, No. 8 at 197 lbs, is having his best year (20-4, 5-0), is still undefeated in the Big Ten, and will look to qualify for the NCAA’s for a fourth time. Weight, a junior in eligibility, but a senior academically will not return next year and is also having his best year (15-10, 2-3). It is more impressive considering that he did not wrestle for two years during his career, as he took time off for a Mormon mission.

The seniors will try to finish off their home careers by beating No. 23 Wisconsin for the eighth straight time in dual matches. The Illini have never lost to the Badgers in dual matches in coach Mark Johnson’s tenure after losing twenty straight meets before Johnson arrived. Wisconsin (8-5, 3-3) boasts a lineup with five ranked wrestlers, including No. 5 Craig Henning (157 lbs).

“We rebounded nicely against Iowa and Michigan State, and we are ready for Wisconsin,” said sophomore Troy Tirapelle. “It’s also senior night, so it should be a lot of fun. Those guys are our leaders, and they have a special impact on the team.”

Henning’s matchup against Tirapelle will be the one to watch, as both wrestlers are undefeated in Big Ten action. The 165-pound dual will also feature two ranked wrestlers as redshirt freshman No. 7 Mike Poeta takes on No. 17 Jake Donar.

The Illini are hoping to go out with a win, but the meet will still be special regardless of the outcome.

“All these different personalities molding together has created a cool environment,” Friedl said. “It’s going to be sad when it’s gone, but that has to happen, but I’m sure we will come back together in future years and relive it.”