Farewell to Krush

By Dan Berrigan

It’s six hours before tip-off, and I’m standing around in a parking lot freezing my nuggets off in an orange t-shirt.

I must be insane because I’m actually going to miss this. It’s like saying the best part of a trip to Six Flags was standing around waiting in line for Batman. But in the Orange Krush, standing in the cold for hours is a rite of passage – you aren’t a true member until you’ve cut class for a shot at courtside seats.

At the end of the day the final tally is four years, 65 games, about $1,200 in donations, and about 200 hours spent in line, waiting in the snow, rain and wind.

People have been fitted for straight-jackets for less.

Being a little bit insane seems to be a pre-requisite for Orange Krush membership. After all, this is the group that deceived the University of Michigan into thinking they were a charity group called “Youth Action,” only to reveal themselves minutes before tip-off. While undercover, they got the grand tour around campus and even had their pictures taken with head coach Tommy Amaker. He was totally oblivious to the Krush in the background showing their true colors.

And they call themselves the “Harvard of the Midwest.”

So now that I gave away the greatest Krush moment in the last four years, here are my top five.

5. Illinois-Indiana: Feb. 25, 2003

In one of the Krush’s more brilliant and hilarious moments, they decide to boo Hoosier’s Tom Coverdale every single time he touches the ball. The other 16,000 in attendance quickly join Krush, causing Tommy-boy to score just nine points. Illinois flattened the Hoosiers, 80-54.

4. Illinois-North Carolina: Dec. 3, 2002

The ACC/Big-Ten Challenge visited Champaign, and after graduating five seniors, the fans were still unsure about the young Illini. It was also the first time Dee Brown, Deron Williams, Luther Head and James Augustine would face Sean May in a preview of the future national championship game.

The seniors led the way in this one as Sean Harrington drained 6-of-8 from downtown and Brian Cook had 22. The 28-2 run at the end of the second half fueled Krush to storm the court – the last time it would be allowed to do so. Illinois 92, UNC 65.

3. The Purdue Invasion: March 3, 2004

The Boilermakers had done the unthinkable two months prior by ending Illinois’ 23-game home winning streak, and now it was Krush’s turn for revenge. Hundreds made the weekday trek to Mackey Arena and taunted the Gene Pool all game. At halftime, when arena crews mopped the court, the Orange Krush pointed at Purdue students chanting, “That’s your future,” and “Sell your tickets.”

This seesaw battle needed overtime, and when Purdue’s senior forward Kenneth Lowe hit a three with 10 seconds left to tie, it looked as though more OT was on the way.

The Illini pushed up the court and Luther Head’s putback with less than a second left iced the game and a share of the Big Ten title for the Illini.

Krush exploded into chants of “This is our house,” and “Big Ten Champs.” Bruce Weber and the team ran up into the stands after dejected Boilermaker fans had left. Illinois 81, Purdue 79.

2. Illinois-Wake Forest: Dec. 1, 2004

The No.1 team in the country came to town and the Illini not only cleaned their clock, but buffed and polished it. Krush could finally hold up one finger to the camera crews and mean it. Add in the fact that it was Paint the Hall Orange night. The sea of orange was an awe-inspiring sight. Illinois 91, Wake Forest 73.

Now that the final Illinois home game is history, for seniors, so too is Krush. No more ordering pizza to Assembly Hall. No more falling off the bleachers during the William Tell Overture, and, perhaps worst of all, no more jumping around to Zombie Nation.

Well I can, but now I’ll look like an idiot.

Waiting outside in the cold for hours was insane, but it allowed me courtside seats to some of the most exiting experiences of my life.

That’s not crazy at all.

Dan Berrigan is a senior in Engineering and can be reached at [email protected].