Seniors win in Hall finale

Seniors win in Hall finale

By Ian Gold

The moments in life that effectively choke up communities are few and far between. The moments in sports are equally as hard to come by. Saturday afternoon Illinois beat Iowa 71-59, but unlike most wins, there was a standing ovation before and after the game.

Sports have had the ability to bring both tears of joy and pain since the dawn of competition. I still can’t watch John Elway win his first Super Bowl without tearing up, and I can’t watch the Olympic ceremony from Atlanta without full out crying. When Muhammed Ali is given the torch my emotion bubbles over. James Augustine had a bet with Wayne McClain that he himself would not cry Saturday, and he succeeded where plenty failed.

For a short moment I stopped clapping to peer around the Assembly Hall, and we had tears. Students realized they were at their last home game while in college and were watching Dee Brown and James Augustine for the last time. For some it was too much. More experienced fans in the alumni section briefly remembered the duet’s first appearance four years ago and reflected on how much the two have meant to them over the years.

The two seniors became much more than just basketball players; they transcended from the hardwood to the national stage and became the faces of the University. Fans were not only saying goodbye to two very good basketball players but to the Illinois they have learned to love for the better part of this century.

It seems strange to say that student athletes have meant that much to their school and community. But it has come to the point where a senior in high school choosing to attend the University doesn’t imagine himself standing underneath the Alma Mater, but rather watching Dee Brown smiling and popping his jersey. Both seniors will graduate, but their degrees could not start to spell out what they have accomplished at Illinois.

The two were so invaluable that the Athletic Department teamed up with the rest of the squad to make sure their goodbye was complete. Way before any fans arrived to Assembly Hall the team had its shoot around, but instead of the fancy new warm-ups, the team wore Orange Krush shirts with the number 11 or 40 printed on the back. Ask Calvin Brock about Dee Brown or Warren Carter about James Augustine, the team wasn’t left off of the emotional roller coaster.

When the fans arrived they were given an orange headband with numbers 40 and 11 printed around the band. I know that I got one; I wasn’t leaving the Hall without one. Commemorative posters were also given out – once again, I got one. Like most people who have grown up at Illinois, Dee and James grew up with you, a chance to grab a reminder of that is priceless.

Still before the actual game started, the two seniors were introduced for the last time and their families received a framed jersey. The term standing ovation probably doesn’t apply, jumping, yelling and teary-eyed ovation is better. James and Dee have played enough games and admit that usually they don’t get nervous, without shields up, they quickly admitted this was different. The fans mean so much to the University and its players, the two seniors were not only playing for wins and losses, but for everyone. Then there was the game.

A few guys dribbled, while others made baskets and rebounded; when everything was done Illinois won.

After the game the seniors wanted to address the crowd, and instead of running for the exits to get out of the Champaign traffic as quickly as possible, 16,618 people stayed to listen to whatever the graduating seniors had to say. Short and sweet, the seniors gave the crowd about the only thing they haven’t given yet, a thank you. The feelings shared between athlete and fan are mutual.

Fittingly, the win over Iowa made Dee Brown and James Augustine Illinois’ most winningest players ever.

Ian Gold is a senior in Communications. He can be reached at [email protected].