Three Illini earn All-American accolades

By Amber Greviskes

One more banner will hang on the far wall of the Atkins Tennis Center next year when the team hangs sophomore Ryan Rowe’s photo.

Rowe is the latest Illinois tennis player to become an All-American. Rowe, along with sophomore Kevin Anderson and senior Ryler DeHeart were named All-Americans based on their seeding in the singles and doubles portion of the NCAA Championships, which will be hosted by Stanford. Both Anderson and DeHeart’s photos are already on display at the Atkins Tennis Center.

“It’s nice to be on the same level as the other (All-Americans),” Rowe said. “Every once in a while, I’ll look up there and make myself smile.”

The singles and doubles portion of the NCAA Championships begin after the NCAA team champion is crowned May 23.

“Obviously, these guys have worked hard all year, so to reach an honor like that is a great thing,” said Illinois assistant coach Kent Kinnear. “I wish we had more than three, but three is great and they deserve it.”

Anderson, who was an All-American last season, because of his performance in the singles portion of the tournament, was named an All-American in doubles.

“It has been kind of a tough season for me,” Anderson said. “I’m not exactly where I want to be now, but I’m ready to play.”

Despite being plagued by injuries all season, Anderson earned a spot in the singles tournament through an at-large bid. He and Rowe are the fourth-seeded team in the tournament.

“(Becoming an All-American) definitely was a goal of mine this year,” Rowe said. “I, hopefully, can help (Anderson) win the title.”

DeHeart, who earned his first All-American accolade based on his seeding in the singles tournament last year, was also named an All-American this year.

He is one of the seeded players in the singles portion of the tournament. He was the winner of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Indoor singles title in 2004.

“Obviously, it is a great honor to be an All-American again,” DeHeart said. “Hopefully, I can actually earn it by making my way through the tournament.”

Senior Pramod Dabir and Ryler DeHeart earned a place in the doubles portion of the NCAA Championships as well. They have been ranked as high as 12th this season.

Although the athletes are excited about their chance to continue to compete after the team’s season ends, the men know that the team season is far from over. They are all more concerned about the team portion of the championships. They believe that Illinois can – and will – win the NCAA team championships this year.

Illinois will begin competition in the NCAA Championships later this month when the Regional Championships start. The Illini will travel to Louisville for the first two rounds of the tournament, where they will take on Western Illinois in the first round.

Despite being eligible to host regionals and the team’s tradition of hosting postseason events, Illinois will not be able to host the Regional Championships after the NCAA ruled Friday that Chief Illiniwek, the University’s symbol, is hostile and abusive.

None of Illinois’ athletic teams will be allowed to host postseason competition because of the use of the Chief symbol.

Illinois has hosted the Regional Championships for the last seven years. The team hosted the Big Ten Tournament Championships last year as well. The women’s tennis team hosted the conference tournament championships this season and in 2003.

“All of the guys are extremely motivated and excited,” Anderson said. “We’re the best team in the country, and we have to go out there and prove it.”