Coach Sujay Lama resigns

By Amber Greviskes

A national search is ongoing for a new head women’s tennis coach, the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics announced, after Illinois head women’s tennis coach Sujay Lama resigned. Lama, who has been the coach of the Illini for the last eight years, ended his tenure with the team on Friday.

“I want to thank Ron Guenther for giving me the opportunity to coach at Illinois for the last eight years,” Lama said in a press release. “It has truly been a blessing for me and my family to be part of this great University and the community. It has been very rewarding to coach all the wonderful student-athletes during this time.”

The Illini ended their postseason run this year in the second round of the Big Ten tournament, which Illinois hosted. The team was 8-15 overall this year and 3-9 in Big Ten competition. Lama finished his career with a 108-84 overall record; his teams were 60-34 in Big Ten play. During the last eight years, Illinois has posted some impressive results. The team was ranked as high as No. 16 in the nation – a program best – in 2004 and has made five NCAA tournament appearances. Nine Illini have been named to the All-Big Ten team since Lama took over the program.

Before coming to Illinois, Lama was instrumental in helping Florida win two NCAA titles and three SEC titles. While working with the Gators, he helped the team to three undefeated dual match season. He was honored as the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Assistant Coach of the Year in the South Region in 1997.

“This is the right time for me to move on and explore other opportunities,” Lama continued. “I am excited about the challenges ahead, but sad to say goodbye to the Illini family.”