Tomahawk chopped: Cards give up 14 to Atlanta again

By The Associated Press

ST. LOUIS – Andruw Jones was 5-for-5 with two homers and matched his career high with six RBIs, helping the Atlanta Braves become the first team since the 1930 New York Yankees to score 10 or more runs in five straight games with a 14-5 victory against the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday night.

Adam LaRoche, Chipper Jones and Brian McCann also homered for the Braves, who have scored 65 runs during their offensive explosion that includes two 15-run games. The last time the franchise reached double figures in five straight games was in 1897, when it was called the Boston Beaneaters and they totaled 61 runs.

The 65 runs in five games is the best by the franchise since those same Beaneaters totaled 78, including 25 in one game and 21 in another, from May 31-June 3. The Braves have 81 hits during their five-game run and 98 in their last six, going back to an 8-3 victory against Cincinnati on July 9, the last game before the All-Star break.

Chipper Jones was 2-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 18 games, all but four multi-hit efforts. He’s batting .534 (39-for-73) during the streak with eight homers and 23 RBIs.

The Cardinals lost 15-3 in the opener of the three-game series on Monday and trailed 13-1 in the fifth Tuesday, a two-game sequence reminiscent of blowout losses to the Chicago White Sox by 20-6 and 13-5 on June 20-21.

Jason Marquis (11-7) was the loser in the 13-5 game against the White Sox, giving up all the runs in five innings. This was almost as bad: 12 runs and 14 hits in five innings from a pitcher who had a chance to take the NL lead in victories.

Marquis, who gave up three homers to hike his NL high to 24, trailed 6-0 before getting his first at-bat in the third.

The Braves scored in each of the first six innings, beginning with Andruw Jones’ two-run shot in the first, his 23rd of the season. They scored three in the second, one in the third, two in the fourth and fifth and three in the sixth before Adam Wainwright set down the side in order in the seventh.

Tim Hudson, starting on three days’ rest for only the second time in his career, won for the first time in seven starts. Hudson (7-8) retired the first 11 hitters and allowed five runs and seven hits in 5 2-3 innings.

Scott Rolen had an RBI double, pinch-hitter John Rodriguez had a two-run triple and Scott Spiezio had an RBI triple in the sixth in a stretch of three at-bats that chased Hudson. Jim Edmonds hit his 13th homer in the fifth.

LaRoche singled and homered in his first two at-bats, giving him six straight hits and making him 10-for-13 against St. Louis this season. He went hitless in his last two at-bats.

Hudson is 91-4 when his team scores four or more runs. Andruw Jones is 6-for-9 against Marquis with four homers and 11 RBIs.

Before the game, the Braves led the majors with a .350 average, 113 runs and 31 homers this month. They totaled 94 runs in June while going 6-21.