Bulls win third straight

Chicago Bulls’ Malik Allen, middle, is fouled by Memphis Grizzlies’ Alexander Johnson, right, as Grizzlies’ Hakim Warrick, left, moves in during the first quarter of a preseason NBA basketball game Monday, Oct. 16, 2006, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Weber)

By The Associated Press

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Martynas Andriuskevicius scored all of his 11 points in the final 3:36 Monday night, and the Chicago Bulls remained undefeated in preseason play with an 87-78 victory over the Memphis Grizzlies.

Andriuskevicius, the 7-foot-2 second-year player from Lithuania, played only nine minutes, all in the fourth period, but took control down the stretch as Memphis tried to pull even.

Tyrus Thomas, the rookie from LSU, led the Bulls (3-0) with 12 points, while Luol Deng and Malik Allen each added 10. Viktor Khryapa, who has led the Bulls in assists in each preseason games, had eight.

Hakim Warrick led Memphis with 13 points, while Damon Stoudamire added 12 more. Dahntay Jones, Lawrence Roberts and Alexander Johnson finished with 11 points apiece. Johnson grabbed 10 rebounds.

The Grizzlies missed six of their first seven free throws in the final quarter, and went only 3-of-10 in the period.

Memphis hit 53 percent for the game (19-of-36).

While the Grizzlies’ problems were at the line, the Bulls had trouble handling the ball.

The Chicago team committed 27 turnovers during the game, leading to 25 Memphis points.

Memphis rookie forward Rudy Gay did not play because of a bruised chest.

That, with several other key injuries, left the Grizzlies with a starting frontline of 6-foot-6 Jones with Roberts and Warrick, both 6-foot-9, and only nine players available.

Then, reserve Junior Harrington went out with about 9 minutes left in the game when he caught an elbow in the head from Thomas that took five stitches to close.

Foul trouble on P.J. Brown got Thomas some early playing time, and the rookie had 10 of his points in the first half as the Bulls built a 46-40 lead at intermission.

Chicago led by as many as nine in the first half while shooting 52 percent from the field. The teams were a combined 0-of-13 outside the arc in the game until Chucky Atkins hit with 4:08 left, the only 3-pointer of the game.

The Bulls carried a 64-58 lead into the final period as the Chicago starters sat out the fourth.